Lighting died, questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineFlake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Lost a ballast (IceCap 660) about a week ago. No sweat, got a spare with my tank from the previous owner. (yay) Popped in the spare, worked for a week then tonite while enjoying some of my wifes most delicious home made dinner from a freeze dried box of crap (Nother story all together) blink, out go the lights. I do realize that IceCap tries to turn around ballast repairs in 2 days, but shipping plus repair and return, I figure its a week ez. So, how long will a 75G tank with coral and fish make it w/o lights? Anyone who has experienced this, nows the time to help a brutha out. I have a friend who will bring by his 2 x 32w pc, 1 x 150w MH to get me by, but thats almost half of the 440 I had over the tank. (See my gallery if you want to see the tank..) BTW, anyone got some lighting to sell, I am a little put off now by the IceCap brand..

No idea on how long the tank could go w/o light.

But I'm curious about your ballast deaths. Are you having any weird power issues (brown outs, surges, etc)? How old are the bulbs?

First, if you haven't already done so, check all connections for corrosion. Especially at the quick connect that plugs into the ballast. Also, check the fuse in the ballast. Corrosion will smoke a ballast in a hurry.
I think you'll be OK for a week especially if you run the PC system. Every day on the natural reefs isn't sunny so I think you'll have the equivalent of a week of cloudy weather over your tank :wink: . I would do a short acclimation when you have the VHO system back up though. Maybe bring lighting levels up to normal over a period of 2-3 days. JMHO.

The details on the VHO lighting goes: I bought 4 new URI VHO bulbs, 48" 110w each. 2 x Actinic 03, 2 x Actinic white. These replaced the 4 x 110w VHO bulbs in service. No biggie. Get home, pull out the old bulbs, pop in the new ones, then fire it up and only half the lights come on for a sec, then out they go. According to IceCap website, ballast is hosed. NP, I just connect the other one (Ballast). After some testing (VOM) I make sure I finally get good continuity fire up the new ballast, all is well. Put it all in place, about a week later, poof, out go the lights. No idea on what the deal was. I took apart the ballast and it looks like some of the components got pretty hot, prolly Thermal shutdown. /shrug Anyway, I got 2 x ARO 220's on the way for $35 ea plus shipping. I keep the ballast on a window ledge behind the tank about 1 ft off the floor, so it is no where near the water. Just my pos luck most likely. Still I have been considering a light 'upgrade'. I suppose this may drive me to sell the whole bloody thing and go nano, or buy new lighting all together. Was looking (Ok drooling) at these.. http://www.hellolights.com/48aqpr2x15hq.html

Another question strikes me..If I were to use 2 x 250w 10k MH and 2 Actinic 03 96w PCs..is there such a thing as too much light?? 75G tank..

If you were to go with the 250w MH combo, I'd say you would be in the market for some SPS corals. We've had several members put a 2x250w on 55 gal tanks with great results. Since you already have all the VHO equipment though, I'd probably stick with VHO actinics. I think you get nicer color with VHO actinics as opposed to PC. JMHO though. Plus you'll get better coverage as the VHO lights are 48" and the 96w PC's are only 36".

I have rigged up the 175w MH and 2 32w actinic pc lights a friend of mine let me borrow. While I do like the 'ripple' effect, I honestly think the VHO 2 x Actinc 03 and 2 x Actinc whites look tons better. Maybe all my drooling is just over an industry 'buzz' word..I think I'll be happy when my new ballasts arrive.

Back
Top Bottom