Lighting Experiences?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brilliant_Barbs_21

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The day is getting closer where I am getting a 90 gallon saltwater tank upgrade. But I want to collect everyone's opinions on lighting. I will be getting a nem, so I need high lighting. What lighting do you guys like and works very well? I want something that not only will support my lps, sps, and anemone, but also bring out the coloring of the fish. I heard T5/LED hybrids work well. And of course MH, but I'll need a chiller. What do you all have?

you don't necessarily need a chiller for MH. I ran 3 250 watt bulbs over my tank for 8 hours a day. Hang them about 10" off the water on a canopy and put a walmart clip-on fan in the canopy to draw out the warm air. My tank has never gotten over 78* and even with the lights on my heater still cycled on and off. I recently switched over to full leds so i can't give any long term advice on them.

I have a 90 also and just purchase about two weeks ago the taotronic dimmable units there about $150 ea. very bright.

Yes, you can grow corals with either fixture.
No moonlight option. You can use a blue night light for that. Not sure if you are aware of this, but moonlights are completely unnecessary. They are just for human enjoyment.

Those both look really cool. If they both have the same effect on corals, then I would get the second one. Do you know if it has settings for moonlight, normal, etc?
I just put four of the plain white and blue fixtures on my 210 and they are awesome. Much quieter than my old fixture. No moonlight setting but I just bought a cheap set of blue rope LEDs and taped them inside my canopy for moon light. I like to let my tank run dark at night unless I have company over.

Yes, you can grow corals with either fixture. No moonlight option. You can use a blue night light for that. Not sure if you are aware of this, but moonlights are completely unnecessary. They are just for human enjoyment.
Yeah I knew that I just love the look. I'll just get some cheap ones to put inside the canopy. But are you supposed to turn them off eventually, or can the moonlights run all night? That sounds like a stupid question... I mean, the moon is on all night :D but I'm asking just in case.

It depends how bright they are. I've seen some ridiculously bright moonlights, that could double as actinics...Those must be turned off. I would shut them down like TKEY3425 does.

It depends how bright they are. I've seen some ridiculously bright moonlights, that could double as actinics...Those must be turned off. I would shut them down like TKEY3425 does.
Okay sounds good. I guess I'll put it on a separate timer to turn off around 11 no matter the brightness, since it really doesn't matter as a light source. Ah the excitement is killing me. I need to scrape together a bit more money for this tank.

Okay sounds good. I guess I'll put it on a separate timer to turn off around 11 no matter the brightness, since it really doesn't matter as a light source. Ah the excitement is killing me. I need to scrape together a bit more money for this tank.
The only thing I have noticed between running my moonlights and blacking out the tank would be that my anemones stay out if I keep the moonlight on and since I have started blacking out the tank at night anemones haven't moved and have almost doubled in size. So it may be coincidence but that just what it seems like is going on in my tank. BUT I also have a saddleback clown that hosts the nems so that may be the reason for the growth as well. Like Mr.X says it's purely for personal aesthetics and I've actually seen better results from a dark tank at night.

The only thing I have noticed between running my moonlights and blacking out the tank would be that my anemones stay out if I keep the moonlight on and since I have started blacking out the tank at night anemones haven't moved and have almost doubled in size. So it may be coincidence but that just what it seems like is going on in my tank. BUT I also have a saddleback clown that hosts the nems so that may be the reason for the growth as well. Like Mr.X says it's purely for personal aesthetics and I've actually seen better results from a dark tank at night.
That's interesting. I will definitely black out the majority of the night anyways, because we aren't up in the room it will be in past 11 (that's on weekends :D ) so I can get the best of both worlds!

Back
Top Bottom