Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-11-2003, 01:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
lighting expert needed

I still do not fully understand teh lighting requirements for my work-in-progress reef tank. I am not sure if the combination I am running appropriate. I have a 55g. I have arranged the rock to slope from the back left corner down to the front right to allow optimum exposure. Right now I am running:

Smartlight PC 130W which is a combo full spec\actinic. 10,000k, 440 nanometers. They run twice a day for 3 hrs.

I also have PC 110W Actinic. K? nanos? They run for 12hrs a day.

Even with my full specs on for only 6 hrs, I still have a bad algae prob. (green film algae on the glass every day) I use RO water, run 2 backfilters with carbon, 50lbs LR 3"DSB, skimmer 24\7. Lots of water movement in the tank and across the surface.

My many questions are:

Is the nanometers the factor that effects algae growth?

If so, waht range should I be looking for?
Is the combination actinic\full spec. totally wrong?

If so, what should the blend be using this amount of wattage?

What about the length of time for each set of lights?

My tank has been up for 10 months now and at this stage I was hoping to be a little more self maintaining.

I love to work WITH my tank but find myself working more ON my tank.

Thanks for your help

You can never have too many friends.
fishtender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 03:08 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Is the nanometers the factor that effects algae growth?
No. Its paritally the Kelvin rating of the bulb. A lower kelvin rating will have more red and yellow in the light. Alage growh is also derived from excessive nutrients in the water. I suspect your problem is the later since the bulbs you describe are fine for your tank and you dont really need to upgrade or down grade them at all.

What about the length of time for each set of lights?
I would do the daylight bulbs for 10hours and actinics for 12hours. Once your alage is under control ofcourse.

Its quite possible you have an abundance of phosphate in your tank. Do you have access to a phosphate test kit?

Oh. and BTW e-mail from this site is bouncing from your address as spam. Please check with your ISP about this.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com