lighting expert needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishtender

Aquarium Advice Activist
I still do not fully understand teh lighting requirements for my work-in-progress reef tank. I am not sure if the combination I am running appropriate. I have a 55g. I have arranged the rock to slope from the back left corner down to the front right to allow optimum exposure. Right now I am running:

Smartlight PC 130W which is a combo full spec\actinic. 10,000k, 440 nanometers. They run twice a day for 3 hrs.

I also have PC 110W Actinic. K? nanos? They run for 12hrs a day.

Even with my full specs on for only 6 hrs, I still have a bad algae prob. (green film algae on the glass every day) I use RO water, run 2 backfilters with carbon, 50lbs LR 3"DSB, skimmer 24\7. Lots of water movement in the tank and across the surface.

My many questions are:

Is the nanometers the factor that effects algae growth?

If so, waht range should I be looking for?
Is the combination actinic\full spec. totally wrong?

If so, what should the blend be using this amount of wattage?

What about the length of time for each set of lights?

My tank has been up for 10 months now and at this stage I was hoping to be a little more self maintaining.

I love to work WITH my tank but find myself working more ON my tank.

Thanks for your help

Howard

(again)

Is the nanometers the factor that effects algae growth?

No. Its paritally the Kelvin rating of the bulb. A lower kelvin rating will have more red and yellow in the light. Alage growh is also derived from excessive nutrients in the water. I suspect your problem is the later since the bulbs you describe are fine for your tank and you dont really need to upgrade or down grade them at all.

What about the length of time for each set of lights?

I would do the daylight bulbs for 10hours and actinics for 12hours. Once your alage is under control ofcourse.

Its quite possible you have an abundance of phosphate in your tank. Do you have access to a phosphate test kit?

Oh. and BTW e-mail from this site is bouncing from your address as spam. Please check with your ISP about this.

Back
Top Bottom