Lighting for 75 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjcbone

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75 gallon with 2x250 halide at 10k ... it looks really whitish (bleached) or yellowish, even with the 4x65 actinic running next to the halides....
do you think I should change the 2x250 halide to 20k ??
whats the best combination of light for lps and anemone's .. etc...

20K will bring you more into the "blue/purple" area of the light spectrum. If you are using actinic suppliments, consider 14K instead. IMHO, it looks more balanced.

Just installed the new light it has --- 2x250W 10K HQI, 4x65W CF True Actinic, and 6xBluemoon LED
This is about 6 inches above my 75 gallon tank ... it seems overpowering ??
When you calculate the WPG do you add the MH with the true actinic ?? or is it just the MH ?
In my case I have 2x250 MH = 500 watts MH
and 4x65 true actinic = 260 true actinic

So in total I have 760 watts total light which 10.13 WPG does that sound like to much ???
Also the color is very yellowish, what do I do now ?? I am so confused !!!

lando said:
20K will bring you more into the "blue/purple" area of the light spectrum. If you are using actinic suppliments, consider 14K instead. IMHO, it looks more balanced.

I thought Brian had a good idea on his post here. I personally like the actinic look. Maybe you might want to go with the 175 watt instead if you think it too overpowering.

Its my first experience with MH ... I didn't know I could put in smaller bulbs ??
So in essence the fixture can handle up to 250 watt bulbs and anything smaller is fine also ??

Do you think the total 760 is to much ??
and do you think going with 175 or so in 14k or 20k would be better for my 75 gallon tank ??

I dont think it will be too much later on but I do believe it will be at the beginning. You`ll need to acclimate your tank to that much lighting. Maybe just starting for a few hrs a day or as someone suggested awhile back putting some screens under them and removing them days at a time till you get to light only. You definitely need to do this for your corals.

Just installed the new light it has --- 2x250W 10K HQI, 4x65W CF True Actinic, and 6xBluemoon LED
10K MH with CF actinic suppliments is very common. It seems to be "stock" on most out-of the-box systems. I am sur eit will look pleasing to the eye.
When you calculate the WPG do you add the MH with the true actinic ?? or is it just the MH ?
In my case I have 2x250 MH = 500 watts MH
and 4x65 true actinic = 260 true actinic
relying on the "watts/gal" rule is not the best practice. While it helps a vey loose guideline, please do not build your tank on this alone. More importanlty, consider the types of corals you intend to keep and build your system around those.

PC said:
Got chiller?

Peace.
I had a problem with the temp in my tank ranging from 78-83 degrees. I got a fan and placed it at one of the tank and now the temp is a stable 79degrees.

I run a 2x250 14K's and 2x54 watt T5 actinics. I like the blue look. I run 3 PC fans in my canopy and have a basement sump but my temps stay at 80F. I have seen 84F in the summer on occasion.

The color of the MH's will depend on the brand of bulb. I have been using the 14k Reeflux. They are not too blue but have have some actinic output. I bought a 150 14K bulb off ebay last week for my frag system. It was a no name bulb and is pretty yellow. Some 20k's are more like 14's and some 14k's look like 20k's. Just find a bulb that you like the color of. Acclimation is the key if you are just starting to use the MH's but you don't have too much light. I keep a lot of acros and a clam. You really would not need that much light if you don't plan to keep high light demanding corals/clams though.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom