Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2005, 03:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to paul baxter Send a message via MSN to paul baxter Send a message via Yahoo to paul baxter
Lighting for coral and live rock

Hi Iwould like to keep some live rock and some soft coral in my tank.
I spoke the the man in the marine shop who I bought my tubes of.I have x3 florecent tubes in the hood of the tank, the one at the back of the tank is a 24" 13000k white the middle tube is a 24" actinic blue and the front tube is a 24" power glow full spectrum.These specs dont mean much to me, maybe you could tell me a little bit about them or point me in the right direction ,Any help would be much appreciated...Regards paul baxter

P.S. my tank depth from light fitting to the sand is 18" if thats any help

Old 02-10-2005, 05:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
well it sounds like you got NO flourescents. As far as keeping live rock you dont really need light for it but if you want such things as corals or inverts to grow on it you may need more lighting, PC's will do. How big is your tank?

Old 02-10-2005, 06:08 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to paul baxter Send a message via MSN to paul baxter Send a message via Yahoo to paul baxter
Hi my tank is 190 L .corner tank with a bow front.Its dimension are 23"H 38"bow front and 27" sides.
Hope this is some help
regards paul baxter
Old 02-10-2005, 06:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What size are the ballasts for those fluourescents? Is the ballast the size of a battery or a breadbox? A Breadbox is good in this instance.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 09:04 AM   #5

Hi johnathan
With being brand new to fish keeping I am not sure what NO and PC and CF mean when it comes to lighting could you please give me a little bit more detail....Regards Paul baxter
Old 02-12-2005, 09:11 AM   #6

Hi clown monarch,I think it is just a small ballast dimensions are 3" square.In the manual it says the ballast uses 98% of the energy provided.Also could you please explain what CF and PC and NO mean when it comes to lighting as I am brand new to fish keeping and I think it maybe be an american terminology....Regards Paul baxter...
Old 02-12-2005, 09:36 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
PC is power compact lighting (puts out more light than an NO normal output fluorescent) http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro...aqualight.html

CF (compact fluorescent is the same thing).

I am new to these lighting issues (pc, cf and mh) I was into the hobby big time about 10 years ago and didn't have those things. How many watts are those tubes? Your tank is 50 gallons (roughly) and by this boards recommendations you should have 250 watts of lighting for keeping coral.

32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, light, lighting, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com