lighting for corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nosaj81

Aquarium Advice Activist
just wondering how long toadstools can go with out light ive tryed scrubbing rocks pulling it off but the algea keeps coming back wondering if i can leave lights off for a day or two to try and kill it

The toadstool leather can easily go a day or two without lighting (even more days). Depending on what type it is, so can the algae.

Green film algae on the glass and cyanobacteria on rocks and sand will somewhat discorporate after 3-4 days of lighting (but are bound to regenerate if the conditions which promote their growth remain in place), but green hair algae can survive a black out of that length.

Nutrient-control is probably the best bet in curbing nuisance algae growth. Algae-eating CUC or fish may work to a degree but they don't address the cause of algae growth.

well it depends on the tests i use my api shows 40pp while my nutrifin shows nothing at all in the nitrates i am using purigen for the last month with no change in testing with the api test i have about 13 blue leg hermit crabs a sally light foot, 3 red hermit and 2 what were called halloween hermits, along with about 12 snails along with a starry blenny and the hair algae just wont disappear any ideas as what to do next?

Back
Top Bottom