Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

alright then. I'm going LED for sure then. I looked at the kit you showed me at first and its heatsink is only marginally larger than the one they have for sale individually. I'm certain with the opical lenses I won't need two heat sinks. Now there's the matter of fans to dissipate the heat. I think I'll just get their dc converter and use computer fans a trip to radio shack is in order.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
I missed that link you posted in your original. No, you really won't get any growth out of those strips. Each one of those LEDs is 1/4w, whereas the ones me and ryshark linked you are 3w. A lot more powerful.
That kit ryshark just sent you is basically what i outlined, the difference is that site uses Cree XP-G as their "premium" but really you want to be using the XREs. There are a lot of reasons, primarily the lumen output and the wavelength is better for coral.
Nanotuners.com
Nanotuners.com
so i dont know much about XP-Gs. they might be better, i was thinking of XP-Es. I'm going to have to look into that.

The only downfall i see about that 12 premium kit is that the driver is only 700mA. Most setups i have seen, people like to run their whites at 1000mA.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

12 Premium LED Do-It-Yourself Retrofit Kit This kit has the xre and lenses with for all the lights at the same cost. I think i'll get this. Those lenses seem pretty good.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Sounds good, post up lots of pictures when you do it.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sure thing. Now I need to drum up 500 bucks for the rest of the set up. I'll buy the lights now because, I know this may sound pessimistic, small companies like these may not last for long and it may be a year or year and a half before I can afford the whole set up. I've seen small mom and pop shops like these that sell neat stuff go out in a few years of awesome service.

So gonna blow 145 on lights, 10 bucks on a tank, 150 on sump with protein skimmer, 50 for LR and base rock, and then 145 on livestock! woo! I can't wait! Yes, I want immaculate water and already have an RO system. Just need to put it back in and buy new membranes... Oh wait I need a refractometer...I'll probably skip the protein skimmer then and spend 80 on the sump and the rest on test kits. Master api salt, copper test, phosphate test, Ca test and a refractometer should cost about 80 I'm guessing.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crepe View Post
Sure thing. Now I need to drum up 500 bucks for the rest of the set up. I'll buy the lights now because, I know this may sound pessimistic, small companies like these may not last for long and it may be a year or year and a half before I can afford the whole set up. I've seen small mom and pop shops like these that sell neat stuff go out in a few years of awesome service.

So gonna blow 145 on lights, 10 bucks on a tank, 150 on sump with protein skimmer, 50 for LR and base rock, and then 145 on livestock! woo! I can't wait! Yes, I want immaculate water and already have an RO system. Just need to put it back in and buy new membranes... Oh wait I need a refractometer...I'll probably skip the protein skimmer then and spend 80 on the sump and the rest on test kits. Master api salt, copper test, phosphate test, Ca test and a refractometer should cost about 80 I'm guessing.
I agree with skipping the skimmer on a 10-gallon for now. You can easily do PWC to keep pristine water on that small of a tank.
IMO the API alkalinity, ammonia, nitrite and PH are good. I don't think there is a need to buy a copper kit unless you are dosing copper to kill parasites. For CA test kit I would get Elos or Salifert, same with phosphate. Refractometer is a must.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
I agree with skipping the skimmer on a 10-gallon for now. You can easily do PWC to keep pristine water on that small of a tank.
IMO the API alkalinity, ammonia, nitrite and PH are good. I don't think there is a need to buy a copper kit unless you are dosing copper to kill parasites. For CA test kit I would get Elos or Salifert. Refractometer is a must.
+1
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
Refractometer is a must.
i dont agree. lol
Old 06-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do those LED kits include blue leds? Im betting those whites are 6500k and that means yellow looking tank. YUCK! Id make sure it includes blue leds that have good PAR. Seems to me that a PC light would cost much much less and provide more light than LEDs.

LEDs seem like the Hybrid cars...They are more efficient, yes but the regular gas cars cost so much less that they are the best still.

Will LEDs grow SPS corals? If not, then absolutely no reason to not go PC here with such a small tank.

You could build your own LED driver and save even more money. They arent all that hard to build either. Just a constant current driver that can put enough voltage across your LEDs to forward bias them. A beefy voltage regulator could be used. Some capable of several amps of current draw with a 37v operating voltage.

EDIT: Doesnt 6500k grow algae like nothing else? Seems to me these LED setups will likely have algae problems to deal with. Might just offset the benefit to having LEDs...

Matt
Old 06-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yah, according to the website they are a mix of blue and white. 8k-10k and 453nm.

Oh and one more thing. Is is true that LEDs help reduce algae growth??

No, these aren't 6.5k LEDs according to the website they range from 8k to 10k in color for white and 453nm in blue.

Tags
coral, corals, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com