Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

id say no to the leds... id go with 18 inch t5s or pcs.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

and i hope you dont dose copper in a reef tank...

Old 06-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm worried something stupid might happen with my RO system because I'm positive houston water is filled with copper from our plumbing.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

ahhh well then id test your water then. or see if your lfs will for you?
Old 06-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg02d View Post
Do those LED kits include blue leds? Im betting those whites are 6500k and that means yellow looking tank. YUCK! Id make sure it includes blue leds that have good PAR. Seems to me that a PC light would cost much much less and provide more light than LEDs.

LEDs seem like the Hybrid cars...They are more efficient, yes but the regular gas cars cost so much less that they are the best still.

Will LEDs grow SPS corals? If not, then absolutely no reason to not go PC here with such a small tank.

You could build your own LED driver and save even more money. They arent all that hard to build either. Just a constant current driver that can put enough voltage across your LEDs to forward bias them. A beefy voltage regulator could be used. Some capable of several amps of current draw with a 37v operating voltage.

EDIT: Doesnt 6500k grow algae like nothing else? Seems to me these LED setups will likely have algae problems to deal with. Might just offset the benefit to having LEDs...

Matt
Out of all the options, a PC light would be better? I really have to disagree. While its true, not much is known about LED's several things are known. When you do it right, you get about the same PAR as a HQI bulb at about half the wattage. They also have a lifespan of 50-80,000 hours or something before the spectrum shifts. Even at the low end, that 13 years of 10 hours a day. In the same span you would have to replace your PC bulbs over 75 times at 20 dollars a piece. yikes. Not to even mention how much they save you on electricity.

LEDs will grow just about anything, again provided its done correctly. Not to mention when he is done with this tank, he can pop off the LEDs and carry them over to a new project with ease.

I'm not sure about the LEDs in that package, and i havent looked at the spectrum chart in awhile, but i know they are not yellow, and do not grow algae like crazy.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilostnemo View Post
i dont agree. lol
Seriously? You might want to get an actual tank up and running for a year or two, then you can tell us all in your vast experience why float hydrometers are better.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 06-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
Out of all the options, a PC light would be better? I really have to disagree. While its true, not much is known about LED's several things are known. When you do it right, you get about the same PAR as a HQI bulb at about half the wattage. They also have a lifespan of 50-80,000 hours or something before the spectrum shifts. Even at the low end, that 13 years of 10 hours a day. In the same span you would have to replace your PC bulbs over 75 times at 20 dollars a piece. yikes. Not to even mention how much they save you on electricity.

LEDs will grow just about anything, again provided its done correctly. Not to mention when he is done with this tank, he can pop off the LEDs and carry them over to a new project with ease.

I'm not sure about the LEDs in that package, and i havent looked at the spectrum chart in awhile, but i know they are not yellow, and do not grow algae like crazy.
id honestly want to see more success stories before i sink this much into lighting when i could get something alot cheaper and know it works for a fact
Old 06-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yikes copper in the water? I wonder if DI resin will remove it? If so, better add a DI filter to the RO system...(easy to do).

As for the LEDs, some of the referenced LEDs stated 5000k (YIKES) to 8000k as the possible range. Thats a terrible accuracy. Id sincerely hate it if I spent $200 on LEDs and got some that were 5000k...I think I would poop myself in a fit of rage over that. Seems better to make certain you know the exact color temp before handing over money like that.

As for LEDs reducing algae, I dont see how they could do unless they are guaranteed at a specific color temp. I dont think algae grows well above 10,000k. Maybe if you got true 12000k LEDs it would stop the algae from getting the light it needs? I think t5, PC, and MH all produce some amount of various color temp. besides the main one speced. That may be where the LED has the advantage as they are SUPPOSED to be monochromatic.

I would have to agree that t5 would be a great way to go here. PC would be easier and likely a bit cheaper. LEDs would be the hardest to use and cost much more than anything else (MH included).

Matt
Old 06-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilostnemo View Post
id honestly want to see more success stories before i sink this much into lighting when i could get something alot cheaper and know it works for a fact
Comprehensive DIY LED Project List - Nano-Reef.com Forums

That should be enough to get you started. I have about 50 more bookmarks if you insist.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 06-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

plus you have to spend the time putting it together. why not just go to flipping radioshack and buy leds from there? lol i mean really

Tags
coral, corals, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com