Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lighting for Corals & Expenses

I plan on setting up a 10g nano and I'm wondering as to what type of corals could fit. I wanted to go all zoas and a few lps but I'm not sure if I can afford the light requirements.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what fixtures I should get?"

The tank is 10gallons, so no MH unless I'm doing a fish boil and 18" lengthwise, rimless.

I'm thinking about LEDs but how expensive would it be to do that for a 10gallon?
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/8316/product.web of those leds how many would I need to get?

Or should I just get t5s, if so what fixture?

Old 06-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

haha, it so happens i am currently calculating cost for my LED setup.
you will need:
Heatsink - heatsinkusa.com
LEDs - nanotuners.com
Power Supply - mpja.com
Driver - ledsupply.com

I'm still trying to figure out a good ratio between gallons and # of LEDs. I imagine 6-10 would be a good range from low light to high.
so you are looking at roughly,
Heatsink - 10-15
6 LEDs - 36
Power - 15
Driver - 15
Misc - 10

Looking at just under $ 90. You gotta think though if your tank will be setup for a long time. The advantage to LED's isnt so much their initial cost, but you never have to replace the bulbs and their draw is minimal. This is also assuming you have most of the tools to solder it all and things like that.

Another good option is UVL is coming out with 12" and 18" T5HO bulbs supposedly sometime next month. You can find preorder info on nanotuners.com as well. 2 of those would light your tank really nicely as well.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crepe View Post
I plan on setting up a 10g nano and I'm wondering as to what type of corals could fit. I wanted to go all zoas and a few lps but I'm not sure if I can afford the light requirements.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what fixtures I should get?"

The tank is 10gallons, so no MH unless I'm doing a fish boil and 18" lengthwise, rimless.

I'm thinking about LEDs but how expensive would it be to do that for a 10gallon?
Ecoxotic Stunner LED Strip Lights | LED Lighting | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com of those leds how many would I need to get?

Or should I just get t5s, if so what fixture?
I don't know too much about LED yet since it is a new and growing technology for reef tanks. However I do think it would be a nice way to go for you. However, I don't know if the links you provided are enough light to grow coral. They say it is accent lighting. Look into something like this:
14 Ultra Premium LED Nano Retrofit Kit
Old 06-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I missed that link you posted in your original. No, you really won't get any growth out of those strips. Each one of those LEDs is 1/4w, whereas the ones me and ryshark linked you are 3w. A lot more powerful.
That kit ryshark just sent you is basically what i outlined, the difference is that site uses Cree XP-G as their "premium" but really you want to be using the XREs. There are a lot of reasons, primarily the lumen output and the wavelength is better for coral.
Nanotuners.com
Nanotuners.com
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 06-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
I missed that link you posted in your original. No, you really won't get any growth out of those strips. Each one of those LEDs is 1/4w, whereas the ones me and ryshark linked you are 3w. A lot more powerful.
That kit ryshark just sent you is basically what i outlined, the difference is that site uses Cree XP-G as their "premium" but really you want to be using the XREs. There are a lot of reasons, primarily the lumen output and the wavelength is better for coral.
Nanotuners.com
Nanotuners.com
I think it has half XRE and half XP-G
Old 06-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

12 Ultra Premium LED Do-It-Yourself Retrofit Kit Is this sufficient? I like the price...ALOT and I can just blow 12 bucks on an aquarium hood to mount them.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
12 Ultra Premium LED Do-It-Yourself Retrofit Kit Is this sufficient? I like the price...ALOT and I can just blow 12 bucks on an aquarium hood to mount them.
You will need a heat sink, contact rapidled, they sell them for I think around $15. Whats nice with that one you will get the optical lense too.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, how much do Zoas and sps range from?

Oh okay, I will get the heatsink as well...althought it looks just like something I could jury rig out of aluminum sheeting and a soldering iron in about 10 minutes.. Whatever, 15 bucks won't be much expense.

Wait... hmm, it appears that the heat sink has some really funky dimensions...5.9"x 9" won't fit into a 10gal hood. Lookslike I'm going to be building my own housing. Also finally how good is the light distribution on these things? would placing them on a 5.9" x 9" foot print such as that of the heat sink provide even lighting for the tank? Or do I need to get 2 heatsinks.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
You will need a heat sink, contact rapidled, they sell them for I think around $15. Whats nice with that one you will get the optical lense too.
Honestly there is really no need for optics in a 10 gallon. I havent looked at what degree they are, but you will probably end up with some spotlighting in your tank with them. It doesnt hurt to have them though to play around with, and maybe carry over to a later build.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 06-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Also, how much do Zoas and sps range from?

Oh okay, I will get the heatsink as well...althought it looks just like something I could jury rig out of aluminum sheeting and a soldering iron in about 10 minutes.. Whatever, 15 bucks won't be much expense.

Wait... hmm, it appears that the heat sink has some really funky dimensions...5.9"x 9" won't fit into a 10gal hood. Lookslike I'm going to be building my own housing. Also finally how good is the light distribution on these things? would placing them on a 5.9" x 9" foot print such as that of the heat sink provide even lighting for the tank? Or do I need to get 2 heatsinks.
Email the guy from that website, he is very fast about responding to questions. Jimbo is probably right about not needing the optic lenses for a nano thats why in the first link I provided they don't have lenses. You may be able to piece it together without lenses for even cheaper.
Frags for zoas and sps can range from $5-$100+

Tags
coral, corals, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com