Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2002, 11:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lighting for fish and future coral

Are there any florescent tubes that are adequate for a 55g FOWLR/DSB tank that i'm sure i'll want to add corals to in the future? That wont put me in the poor house ? The big buck MH and CF stuff is not going to be an option. Thoughts on a twin or possibly a triple light strip with coral sun, reef sun and/or ultra sun zoomed tubes? any other "low cost" options/opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 12-18-2002, 11:13 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
You can fit 4 4' 40W NO flourescent tubes over a 55. VHO would be better or even pc. These last two options are expensive. No one said this hobby was inexpensive.

Mark

Old 12-19-2002, 12:05 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
You may be able to afford the more pricier lighting. You can find deals. I would go to "eBay" and run a search on "aquarium lights". You will be suprised at what you find. If you find something you like and your not sure about the quality, get the brand name of the lighting, and post a question on this forum and someone is bound to have good advise for ya. If your going to go with corals I would try to get the most for your money. Corals can be addicting and you will always run into ones you want but dont have the lighting for. Good luck with eBay.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:24 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
lighting

Here is my "cheap lights" solution...some of it is based on experience and some on what I have read so you might want to research some more before you buy. Ok, got the disclaimer out of the way . This will allow you to have some soft corals and other inverts that do not have extremely high light requirements. At Home Depot or Lowes, you can get a ballast that will run two 40w bulbs for about $20. I would order 4 sets of VHO endcaps. Install the endcaps in the canopy and buy two NO daylight bulbs and two actinics. I'm not 100% sure on the correct color temp for the daylights...I'd think that anything between 6500k and 10000k would be OK. Make sure the actinics are true actinics and not just cheap blue bulbs. Buy two of the ballasts and mount them where the heat they give off won't bother the tank. This setup will give you 160w of light. Later, when funds are available, you can upgrade the ballast to an Icecap for about $175 and upgrade the bulbs for another $100 or so. You wouldn't have to upgrade the bulbs right away as the Icecap will run NO bulbs just fine. They claim it will burn them much brighter than a regular ballast...never tried it. A full VHO setup would give you 440 watts of light which should grow about anything you want in a 55. Granted VHO isn't the best thing going, but it does work well. The drawbacks are that you are gonna have $40 worth of ballasts laying around after you upgrade. You will also have to replace the bulbs more often...about every 6 months is what they recommend.
If you want to go ahead and get some good lights to start with, you can put in four 55w PC's for about $225 from www.ahsupply.com . That covers ballasts, reflectors, bulbs, and all the hardware to mount it up. That would give you a pretty good system for $50 less than the VHO upgrade would cost. About $125 more than installing the NO lights. If you're really into the DIY scene, check out www.il-solutions.com . They have a retrokit without the reflector for $40 that will run two 55w PC's or just a ballast for $28. Or, as Micheal suggested, check Ebay for deals on halide setups. If you could find a couple of halides that were affordable, you could pick up one of the retrokits from either of the places above and use it to run your actinics.
Anyway, the NO bulbs are a cheap solution that will allow you to have some corals and other inverts that don't require lots of light. I think you would be better off to save for a while and get the good stuff to start with though. And if you want to check out a decent deal on VHO's, look at www.hellolights.com . Just some ideas and options. One last thing...il-solutions is the best price I have found for VHO endcaps...look in the Icecap section.
Logan J
Old 12-19-2002, 01:36 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

lights

Forgot to mention one detail...if you buy the electronic "instant start" ballasts from HD or Lowes, you can use them later to light 28 or 36 watt PC's on some other tank or even for the actinics on the 55. They have to be instant start ballasts though. Rapid start is not the same.
Logan J
Old 12-19-2002, 10:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Can you put VHO bulbs in a standard hood with a standard ballast ? Such as the VHO bulbs from Coralife ?
Old 12-19-2002, 11:00 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

VHO

Nope...you gotta have a VHO ballast for VHO tubes. An Icecap VHO ballast will light NO, HO, VHO, and PC tubes. The Icecap operates a little differently than other ballasts though. I probably wouldn't want to light NO tubes with any other brand that was for VHO's.
Logan J

Tags
coral, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com