Lighting For Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaycie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do I need special lighting for my live rock? Right now I have the bulbs that came with my tank. Thanks.

I'm a newbie but think I can help you out. They say 3 to 5 watts per gallon, but being you only have LR I would go with the lower end. You will eventually have coralline algae on the rock and maybe some other things. What kind of bulbs came with your tank ???

LIve rock does not require any specific type of lighting except to keep and or promote coraline algae growth. If you wish to promote the purple coraline algae growth then I would go for something like 2.5 - 3 WPG if your looking at florecent lighting systems. A 50/50 bulb or a mix of 10K bulbs and actinic bulbs will also help.

Corline does not go with just lighting but also needs good levels of alkinity and calcium in the water.

i am going with a FOWLR tank and i bought a 50/50 and a 10k bulb. from what i have read and understand, i should be ok, and you should too.

Back
Top Bottom