Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
4 bulbs to keep whatever you want? i have to disagree. i would go at least 6, but i prefer 8. if you buy the 4 lamp fixture, and decide to venture towards more light needy corals, like sps or perhaps a clam on the sand bed, you are going to wish you had a few more bulbs.
buy once!

Old 01-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was rather implying that the 4 bulb unit would be enough for what plans he currently had in mind and then some, most certainly not all inclusive for a 75gallon tank. If I were to do it right I would go with a 8 bulb fixture as well or a 250x2 halide set up depending on preference.

36 BowFront Reef
LED PoweredPlanted 3G Picotope (Build thread)
Jnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

If your going to do a florescent fixture, the T-5HO are the way to go. The acticic and 10k 54w combo have the exellent color. But if you didn't have alot of money, alot of your LFS probably have a few laying around, or know a customer who does. With everybody going to LED's and T-5. You can pick up a dual 96wt. for $100.00 or less. good luck!

Fishman
saltwatertogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:51 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Someone want to pick one out for me? I have been looking at current usa T5HO's. I am torn between 4 and 6 lamps
Old 01-21-2011, 08:12 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

ive heard good things about the current usa nova and nova extreme fixtures, 4 vs 6 is all about what you want to keep and how much you want to spend. i didnt read the entire thread so i dont know if you put a price limit or not
Old 01-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwatertogo
If your going to do a florescent fixture, the T-5HO are the way to go. The acticic and 10k 54w combo have the exellent color. But if you didn't have alot of money, alot of your LFS probably have a few laying around, or know a customer who does. With everybody going to LED's and T-5. You can pick up a dual 96wt. for $100.00 or less. good luck!

Fishman
There is a reason they are cheap. I have a PC fixture the only thing it grows well is algae. PC was an attempt to save electricity. It failed. T5s are efficient, that means more light less heat. They work best with individual reflectors; with them they will knock the socks off MH. Without, not so much.

LEDs are getting great right now, the 3w royal blues are affordable. But tey will be DIY because of patent issues.

I say get the 6 bulb if you can afford it.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
6 bulb "nova extreme pro" will do a good job for you. sometimes current sells the refurbs on ebay pretty cheap. otherwise you can try the vendors here and see if they offer some sort of discount.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:53 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezon View Post
There is a reason they are cheap. I have a PC fixture the only thing it grows well is algae. PC was an attempt to save electricity. It failed. T5s are efficient, that means more light less heat. They work best with individual reflectors; with them they will knock the socks off MH. Without, not so much.

LEDs are getting great right now, the 3w royal blues are affordable. But tey will be DIY because of patent issues.

I say get the 6 bulb if you can afford it.
Was just trying to help. If he didn't have alot of money. Don't knock PC's they've done alot for the reef hobby. I personally still have several client that running PC's with beautiful reef tanks and not one has a problem with algae. But your right T-5HO 6 Bulb is the way to go. Sorry but T-5 still only compare to MH. Don't get me wrong but i can see the differance in my clients tanks with MH and client with T-5. corals seem to grow faster under MH. I'd still wait a year on the LED.
saltwatertogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

As a base estimate, a 4 bulb (2 Blue Plus, 1 Aqua Blue, Purple Plus) ATI Sunpower would suffice for soft corals and some lps or Aquatinics 5 bulb. For more intensity a 6 bulb Sunpower, Tek, or Icecap would do the trick (4 Blue Plus, Purple Plus, GE 6500 or Aqua Blue) for lps/sps.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

For a 75 gallon if you are looking to have corals and fish I would highly recommend T5 HO. Easier on the electrical bill than MH and you dont need a cooler. I would get a 4 or 6 bulb fixture, 4 will be enough depending what you want to keep. Best bang for your buck would be a Tek Lighting System. This will run you about $500 with bulbs and mounting legs. Then you can always add LED strip later on, or go with moonlight effect LED from Reefkeeper (very nice). That would be the absolute best way to go.

Nevermind ATI, too much money and doesnt to anything extra. If you absolutely want cooling fans go with the tek elite.

So here www.sunlightsupply.com go under fluorescent lighting, T5 and you will see the TEK's. I also recommend going with Giesman bulbs or something from the US, do not cheap out and get china bulbs.

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com