Lighting for reefs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikestanked

Aquarium Advice Freak
in the distant future, i, plan on upgrading my 30gal FOWLR to a reef. this will happen next year so im in no hurry. just wondering what type of fixture to get, and wanted some advice. nothing to big, i like BTA, mushrooms, and (excuse my terminology) but hard almost dead tree like stems?

30 gal long, on a budget, please help!:dance:

With your likes- whatever lighting you chose (mh or led) you will want to have 3-5 ways per gallon. I would suggest LEDs since it is a smaller tank and you don't want mh to overheat your tank.

mikestanked said:
in the distant future, i, plan on upgrading my 30gal FOWLR to a reef. this will happen next year so im in no hurry. just wondering what type of fixture to get, and wanted some advice. nothing to big, i like BTA, mushrooms, and (excuse my terminology) but hard almost dead tree like stems?

30 gal long, on a budget, please help!:dance:

BTA's will require high intensity lighting. The types usually determine initial cost and annual cost. Also each type has its advantages and disadvantages. In my opinion your best off looking into LED's or a 6 bulb T5HO.

Schism said:
BTA's will require high intensity lighting. The types usually determine initial cost and annual cost. Also each type has its advantages and disadvantages. In my opinion your best off looking into LED's or a 6 bulb T5HO.

+1 in one year though leds will probably have taken the lead in lighting and there have been substantial price cuts happening so imo in 1 yr you'll want led hands down

Back
Top Bottom