Lighting for sps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcj0033

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's better for growing healthy sps I have ai sols right now but I was wondering if T5's were better for sps growth, so basically what's better LEDs or T5's ?

That is up to the person running the tank. T5HO needs atleast a 6 bulb unit to keep many sps where LEDs are much more cost effective and penetrate water much better. But it is really up to you.

Two of the LFS in my area always try to convince me to get T5 lighting. Interestingly enough both stores are run by "old schoolers" in their mid to late 60s. The stores that sell the most SPS use LED lighting…Radions and Kessils in particular. One of the stores is Vividaquariums. Half of their 800 gallon tank is under Radions and the other is MH lighting. My Kessils work great for me so I would not ever switch to T5 lighting.

LEDs are the most efficient lighting in the hobby, to date. There is no way you are going to get more growth out of a T5 fixture, than what you have. Those "old schoolers" don't have a clue. Optimum growth is achieved by a lot more factors than just lighting.

T5HO don't require a chiller most of the time...MH on the other hand is a totally different story. They heat entire rooms up!
But, in terms of the LEDs, they are highly effective. X is right that good growth of coral isn't all about the lighting, but when strong lighting is required it is hard to beat LEDs water penetration and coral growth when you tie it into how much money you save on bulbs and energy consumption. X is a big fan of the taotronics LEDs and has good results from them. I have great growth out of my Radions, but am addressing a 'dull' color out of some of my sps and lps. May or might be related to intensity, still addressing but feel it is noteworthy to mention it being easy to have lighting up too high and get dulled colors.

Anyone ever measure their PAR when first using their LED to see what percentage's lost after the first 1st year 2 year etc?

T5HO don't require a chiller most of the time...MH on the other hand is a totally different story. They heat entire rooms up!
But, in terms of the LEDs, they are highly effective. X is right that good growth of coral isn't all about the lighting, but when strong lighting is required it is hard to beat LEDs water penetration and coral growth when you tie it into how much money you save on bulbs and energy consumption. X is a big fan of the taotronics LEDs and has good results from them. I have great growth out of my Radions, but am addressing a 'dull' color out of some of my sps and lps. May or might be related to intensity, still addressing but feel it is noteworthy to mention it being easy to have lighting up too high and get dulled colors.

What size led would I need for a 48" 75gal!?

Switching to LEDs you need to be cautious. LEDs penetrate water MUCH better than units with bulbs. Start them off turned WAY down, and slowly turn them up weekly so you don't burn your corals to death...I did it by accident with my Radions.

I have great growth out of my Radions, but am addressing a 'dull' color out of some of my sps and lps.

Anyone ever measure their PAR when first using their LED to see what percentage's lost after the first 1st year 2 year etc?

The reason I posted the above is this from another thread below is what i read...Are you using the 1st generation Radion. Might be other factor as well, but the Par reading might be worth looking into as well.

My LFS is an all-Radion shop and they have a significant investment in the Radions. For the first year or so the corals looked pretty darn good under them. In the last 6 months I have seen a decrease in coloration and overall, the corals just looked much duller.

Back
Top Bottom