Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lighting for sps

What's better for growing healthy sps I have ai sols right now but I was wondering if T5's were better for sps growth, so basically what's better LEDs or T5's ?

Old 03-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That is up to the person running the tank. T5HO needs atleast a 6 bulb unit to keep many sps where LEDs are much more cost effective and penetrate water much better. But it is really up to you.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Two of the LFS in my area always try to convince me to get T5 lighting. Interestingly enough both stores are run by "old schoolers" in their mid to late 60s. The stores that sell the most SPS use LED lighting…Radions and Kessils in particular. One of the stores is Vividaquariums. Half of their 800 gallon tank is under Radions and the other is MH lighting. My Kessils work great for me so I would not ever switch to T5 lighting.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
LEDs are the most efficient lighting in the hobby, to date. There is no way you are going to get more growth out of a T5 fixture, than what you have. Those "old schoolers" don't have a clue. Optimum growth is achieved by a lot more factors than just lighting.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Lighting for sps

I agree with everyone else. My kessil grows sps wonderfully.
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
so much less energy consumption and bulb wasting money.

Not to mention that many T5 fixtures make a chiller "must have".
Old 03-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

T5HO don't require a chiller most of the time...MH on the other hand is a totally different story. They heat entire rooms up!
But, in terms of the LEDs, they are highly effective. X is right that good growth of coral isn't all about the lighting, but when strong lighting is required it is hard to beat LEDs water penetration and coral growth when you tie it into how much money you save on bulbs and energy consumption. X is a big fan of the taotronics LEDs and has good results from them. I have great growth out of my Radions, but am addressing a 'dull' color out of some of my sps and lps. May or might be related to intensity, still addressing but feel it is noteworthy to mention it being easy to have lighting up too high and get dulled colors.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:34 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Anyone ever measure their PAR when first using their LED to see what percentage's lost after the first 1st year 2 year etc?
Old 03-15-2014, 02:28 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
T5HO don't require a chiller most of the time...MH on the other hand is a totally different story. They heat entire rooms up!
But, in terms of the LEDs, they are highly effective. X is right that good growth of coral isn't all about the lighting, but when strong lighting is required it is hard to beat LEDs water penetration and coral growth when you tie it into how much money you save on bulbs and energy consumption. X is a big fan of the taotronics LEDs and has good results from them. I have great growth out of my Radions, but am addressing a 'dull' color out of some of my sps and lps. May or might be related to intensity, still addressing but feel it is noteworthy to mention it being easy to have lighting up too high and get dulled colors.

What size led would I need for a 48" 75gal!?
Old 03-15-2014, 09:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
2 of the fixtures Hank or I have. here are the ones I use-
New Dimmable 120W Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank White Blue LED Light Black Shell | eBay

As for your dull sps issue hank, what colors are you speaking of? I have read that potassium plays a part in bring out the blue in sps.

Tags
light, lighting, sps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com