Lighting Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackflamin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first post so here we go. I have a 55gal that has 65lbs of rock and three blue chromis. The tank has been running since September and I haven't added anything cause I really wanted to take it slow. My question is I want to upgrade the lighting but I'm confused on which one to go with between power compact and vho. I was leaning towards power compacts because of the good prices. I've read so many opinions on both, but is one really that much superior than the other? I hope someone here can help me out. I just want to keep some softies maybe something more advance in the future like a clam but thats about as far as I want to go.

lmkbubblfsh.gif

to AquariumAdvice.com!!!!

I've read so many opinions on both, but is one really that much superior than the other? I hope someone here can help me out. I just want to keep some softies maybe something more advance in the future like a clam but thats about as far as I want to go.

I think you can go either way, the trend lately seems to be PC over VHO, but with VHO, I think you still have a much better bub choice. To be honest, look for both and go with which one suits your needs for the best price. One thing to consider on your stocking choices most of the photosynthetic clams need MH on that tall a tank. There are a couple of choices that may work with PC or VHO, but that will depend on how much and placement.

Research what you want to keep in that tank before you buy a system. There's nothing worse than spending a bunch of money and then having to upgrade again because it isn't bright enough to keep what you want. I like PC's a little better than VHO. I think VHO is on it's way out as a choice lighting system for reef tanks although they do a fine job. I would look into T-5's as well. The T-5 bulbs are so small that you could probably upgrade a T-5 retro kit to include MH later if you wanted to and just use the T-5's for actinics. IMO, a 4 bulb T-5 system would be all you needed for soft corals and most LPS corals if you're sure that's all you wanted to keep. Bulb selection in T-5's is going to get much better as time goes on and they get more popular.

The some really bad knock I have been told is that the PC does not have a true actinic bulb and they look is more of a yellow. I have never seen PC lighting actually running so I don't know if this really valid or hogwash.

loganj, do you know any good sites where I can find info on lighting. I tried to going to a couple fish stores and that's how I got confused cause each one was contradicting the other.

I have been told is that the PC does not have a true actinic bulb and they look is more of a yellow.

This is not true. True actinics for PCs have been out for a couple of years. If you get a 6700K bulb, yes it will have a yellow appearance, but there are other choices, there are 50/50 bulbs or 10K's.

Well...I'd probably start out by doing a search at www.about.com and see what you turn up. Most of the stores don't really have that much info about lighting beyond product info. If you'll go to the sponsor forums here, you'll find several places to look at lighting. I don't have my PC lighting pages up on my site yet, but I'm workin' on it :mrgreen: . Also, check with www.ahsupply.com and www.hellolights.com . What will really determine your lighting needs are the corals and inverts you want to keep. As far as lighting info and advice, I think you'll find an awful lot of knowledge right here on this site. Lighting is a controversial subject and about the only absolute rule I know of is that you have to have electricity to run them. Everything else is subject to opinions and exceptions. Once you come up with a basic list of the things you want to keep in your tank, let us know and we can make some more specific suggestions.

I basically just want to take it slow and keep like mushrooms, leather corals, and star polyps and such like these.

I would probably go with either a 4x65w PC fixture or a 4 bulb 48" T-5. I'd go with an even mix of 10k and actinic 03 bulbs with the PC's and an even mix of 50/50 and actinic in the T-5.

Back
Top Bottom