lighting help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joseramentol

Aquarium Advice Activist
k so im almost done bulding my tank ready to add some corals and fish and im still a little confused on the lighting, i bought the marineland aquarium lights which bring 3 blue LED and 42 whites doesnt say how many watts it is,they told me at the aquarium that it might not sustain life so i might need another one.

can someone help me and tell me how many watts i need to sustain life, if it really matters the watts or anything please i can use any help you can give me :confused:

i will post pictures of it

Sounds like you have the marine land double or single Bright? These cannot support corals and won't even if you have more then one. The bulbs are those are 1watt or less and the LEDs that can support corals are 3-5 watts each and put out a different color temp and spectrum.

Sounds like you have the marine land double or single Bright? These cannot support corals and won't even if you have more then one. The bulbs are those are 1watt or less and the LEDs that can support corals are 3-5 watts each and put out a different color temp and spectrum.

yes i believe mine are 1 watt,so im guessing i will have to try and return them

I'm also interested in this thread. I just bought a 7ft 210 gal tank with 6 4ft T5HO. The lf said this was not enough for my corals and I was thinking of supplementing with LED but I don't know what kind or how many.

Odyssea fixtures are questionable. I have heard horror stories about them starting fires. The amount of lamps and potency of the fixture is fine though.

I'm also interested in this thread. I just bought a 7ft 210 gal tank with 6 4ft T5HO. The lf said this was not enough for my corals and I was thinking of supplementing with LED but I don't know what kind or how many.
You probably have a 265, not a 210. 210 gallon tanks are usually 72", not 84".
I have a 7' x 24 x 31 tall tank right now and i use 3 of these-
Aquarium Coral Reef Tank black Blue LED Grow Light 120W | eBay

They work great for the money.

Listen to Doug...those Odyssea fixtures will break. They're cheap for a reason. You really do get what you pay for. It's just a matter of time.

I bought one to test for my LFS (LFS was told they had a new and better design) and the ballast blew within 48 hours. We replaced the ballast and a couple of the fittings broke soon after. The whole time the thing was burning HOT. Definitely not worth it imo.

Also, how is that T5 better than the LEDs?

Listen to Doug...those Odyssea fixtures will break. They're cheap for a reason. You really do get what you pay for. It's just a matter of time.

I bought one to test for my LFS (LFS was told they had a new and better design) and the ballast blew within 48 hours. We replaced the ballast and a couple of the fittings broke soon after. The whole time the thing was burning HOT. Definitely not worth it imo.

i decided to go with the t5,well i returned my LEDS because i was tol they wouldnt sustain life since they were 1 watt and in order to sustain life the need to be from3-5 watts

Hey guys sorry I hadn't noticed you guys were telling me the one from eBay was an odyssea well I finally got my light I went today and bought a marineland LED and I can honestly say I can't be happier this things are awsome they are super bright and just make the tank look epic totally worth the money I will be posting pictures up a little later ��

AquaRick said:

Maybe you got a defective unit, I've had mine for a couple of months and I haven't had any issues with it.

Back
Top Bottom