Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-10-2004, 02:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Lighting Help!!

I need help. I started my 1st reef tank last wekend. On advice from the fish store. I got an 80 gallon "show tank". I know, I know, its more difficult due to depth. Here's my question.He told and sold me two Aqualife 20 in. 4 pin power compact units at 96 watts each. They are the ones with an aluminum ballast and one bulb. 50% of it is actinic blue. He said that would be enough to do most invertibrates, live rock, reef fish.

I have since read that my lighting may be seriously inadequate. IS it? Help!!

Old 09-10-2004, 03:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you're gonna have to go MH if you want to do a reef in that tank. Probably 2x250w minimum.

What are the exact dimensions?

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:33 PM   #3

The tank is 48l x 15w x 30?d. Sorry I forgot the depth. I thimk that is correct.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
You might want to get 2 more hoods and have 10,000k bulbs on those. combinde with the ones you have, you should be on to something.

that would be cheaper than MH lighting anyway.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:57 PM   #5

Are you familiar with the lights I am describing from coralife? The white section of the bulb is 10,000k. Im not sure I can fit another hood on the narrow tank, and with a canopy the lights are already effecting the water temp. I could be in trouble.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Coralife has a Lunar Aqualight hood with 2 power compacts. one is actnic blue, one is 10,000K. PLUS it has moonlights. excellent lighting setup. It should work well, Is your tank 15" deep or 30 " deep. If its 15, those should work. If its 30" you will want to go 2 deep on your lights.

Try lowering the temprature in your room a couple degrees. I did and I was able to get my tanks temp down from 83 degrees to 79-80 degrees.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 04:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

The main problem is that you just don't have enough wattage for corals at the moment.. another 2 bulbs would get you up to speed but then you get to the second problem which is they just won't penetrate deep enough into the tank to be useful.

I would definitely advise MH lighting on that tank if you want to go full reef... or atleast 4x96w PC if you can live with not placing any corals near the bottom.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting, lighting help

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com