Lighting - how much and how high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salt4Us

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just set up the 40 gal long (cycled too). We put in 4 blue legged hermits for now. The question I have is lighting. Originally I had planned on putting in two 96W PC (one 10K, one actinic). I DIY'd the stand & hood. Right now I only have NO florecents (one 10K, one actinic, both 25W). The lights are 8 inches above the water.

My question is because the lights are so high above the water, would I still get good lighting & light penetration w/ two 96W PC's or would it better to use MH & PC combination?

Any thoughts & suggestions are welcome!
BTW, the tank is height is 17 inches.

Thanks!
John

What do you want to keep in the tank? This is what will determine what lighting you should get. Personally I love MH, but it is more expensive and you would need two bulbs for a 36" tank.

As for fish, we going with Yellow Watchman Goby, Royal Gramma Basslet & would like to go with Flame Hawk and/or Fiji Blue Orange Tail Damsel.

As for corals, we're looking at hammer coral, ricordia, colt coral, pastel favia, frogspawn & some others (the ones listed is what we've decided on so far). Possibly some macroalgea too. We don't want zoos or leather..at least not at this time.

If your not gonna do SPS or clams in this tank, I think your be fine with the pc's, you can also add some type of riser to mount the lights to that will get them closer to the water.

I don't think we're going to do any SPS or clams. That being the case then we'll go with PC's. I was thiking about putting a board attafched the to top..sort of the reinforce the lid/top before putting on the PC's.

Thanks for the suggestion/advice Kevin!

John

Back
Top Bottom