Lighting opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ive heard to start from 10% and work your way up but thats just what ive seen several people on here do. I havent ventured into corals yet so i dont have personal experience

Yes with dimmables you can do that. Old fashion way was to start fixture high and work your way down about an inch a day until you get it where you want.

Oh..I have 4 of the first generation fixtures which are not dimmable. Obviously, these are at 100%. The other two I have over the frag areas I am slowly turning up over a few month long acclimation period. My main display is 25" deep, and everything is doing well under them at 100%.
Some things I've noticed are more sensitive and require a much longer acclimation period, like long tentacle anemones, and some LPS, and these are in the back tanks at the moment. Right now I have the blues all the way up and the daylights at about 50%.

Hesselrode said:
Yes with dimmables you can do that. Old fashion way was to start fixture high and work your way down about an inch a day until you get it where you want.

Hes asking for percentage of power, not physical height over tank. Atleast thats what ive been going with lol

I just received my full spectrum unit today. It has the red and blue lights in addition to the blue and white. :)

Just hung it over the 60g and it looks pretty good. I still need to play with it a bit as it is kinda purple in color lol I ordered the 90 degree ones and the light stays in the tank very nicely, I dont have all the spillover I had before with the same unit but the non dimmable ones. I have mine hung about 10 inches over the water and it seems to penetrate pretty well. I got a bunch of corals today but after I mess with them and then do a water change I will start playing with the this unit.

I got mine when they were on sale on ebay for $140, I also had a 10% coupon from ebay and had $10 in ebay bucks so the light came out to like $100!! You really cant beat that. I plan on getting 3 of these for my upcoming 180g setup.

It actually is going to depend on what type of lighting you are replacing. I ran 2x250 MH 3 inches off the water, I started my Maxspect razors at 80% white and blues, and ramped them up 10% a week, the last week they are running at 100% for mid day, and they sit 6" off the water. No burning or any other issues

I still need to play with it a bit as it is kinda purple in color lol.
That's just what I didn't like about the multicolored units. It made my tank look sort of pinkish, or cloudy looking even. I think the straight blue and white units make a much crisper look.
My multicolored unit is growing on me though.....I don't hate it.

They make no difference growth-wise. People just think they make certain colors look better under them. I am not one of those people.

mr_X said:
They make no difference growth-wise. People just think they make certain colors look better under them. I am not one of those people.

Good to know. Id imagine they give the user a bit more flexibility in terms of visible color selection, but atleast i know bow that they dont make a difference in growth

Got a better understanding on lights. As far as live rock would you go all live or mix live and dry. If you would mix what would the ratio be?

Steve190 said:
Got a better understanding on lights. As far as live rock would you go all live or mix live and dry. If you would mix what would the ratio be?

You dont have to go all live. The live will seed the dead rock over time. The ratio that you use will determine the length of cycle you experience. The more live rock you have, the shorter the cycle (usually). And vice versa.

Back
Top Bottom