Lighting PC bulbs? Recommended?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55gal. 260Watt CoralLife Power Compact, 3 1W Lunar Lights, Live sand 4in DSB, 75lbs. Live Rock, 2 Cinnamon Clownfish, Magenta Dottyback, snails, crabs, Feather Duster, Sabae Purple Tipped Anenome, 1 White Leather Coral, Red Sun polyp, assorted polyps, 2 Assorted Color Plate Corals, Pipe Organ, Frogspawn, Fox Coral, Flat Brain, Finger Leather, Mushrooms, Green Star Polyps, 2 8" Maxima Clams, a few other corals. Wet/Dry filter, Protein Skimmer, Heater, I have the Liquid Plankton and also frozen plankton and brine shrimp for food.
My question is on my PC I have the 260W with Actinic and 10000K Bulbs. I am looking in Drsfostersmith catalog and see 20,000K looks like very small difference. I was wondering is it worth changing the bulbs to 20,000K? I am looking to eventually get the Coralife Aqualight Pro HQI/Compact Fluorescent light fixture but not anytime soon. Thanks

The 20k may make your tank look more blue tint. You may like that though., I prefer to 12k or 10k looks a little more natural with the actinic lights.

I don't think it would make much of a difference in appearance or the health of the animals at all on the scale of PC's. With MHs it would. Used to have PCs on a 75 reef.

If your going to buy a light fixture buy metal halides you wont regret it and the quality of lighting for the money is way better. 20K bulbs will give more of a blue hue to your lights which you will like and the corals should respond well to. Blue hue lighting will generally help with spawning and growth of your corals and other organisms.

Back
Top Bottom