lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwrmma

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a 48" odyssea light fixture. 2 150 HQI and 2 96 w 420nm lights. one of the MH burned out and i am looking to replace all the lights since it has been a year. my question is: should i replace all the lights with any brand of the same wattage, or since i am going to be spending some cash and odyssea hasnt gotten the best reviews, just spend the extra money and get a better lighting system like coralife pro or outer orbit.
what would you guys do????
thanks.

I would think if the fixture is working and you have no problems with it, just get new bulbs....unless you have extra $$$ to spend...lol.

ok. next quick question. the MH are 20k. is there a big difference between the 10k 15k and 20k? what is the best/preferred since i will be buying new ones?

I personally think you already have a good system and should continue to just change bulbs.

If you already have T5 actinics you could probably go with 10K metal halide bulbs. IMO a 20K metal halides plus the T5 actinics would be too blue for my taste.

14-15k seems to be the norm. 20k = very blue, 10k = yellow. That fixture got it's complaints because of the ballasts burning out, even the new 250w MH from them have a bad ballast (puts out 160w) causing the light to look green.. A newer Electronic ballast might be a good call.. (esp if you switch the bulbs and the "dead" one lights..

Back
Top Bottom