lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhomb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
can anyone tell me wut is the difference between a regular home light and the ones we use for aquariums, in other words, would it be ok if i use lights i had in the kitchen for my aquarium ( they are regular 26 watts) thx in advance and ROCK ON!!

You could use those lights for FO tanks if you wanted. They won't support any kind of coralline algae growth much less any kind of coral growth.

Most of those lights have an extremely yellow tint to the as well (i.e. low color temp). They just aren't as pleasing to look at in the aquarium.

can anyone tell me wut is the difference between a regular home light and the ones we use for aquariums

Lots of differences - without getting overly technical the 2 main differences are:

(1) Intensity & spectrum. Intensity is the ability of the light to penetrate the water (usually related to wattage). Spectrum is the *usable* light (usable by corals).

(2) Color temp. This is the big reason why "home" bulbs are not usuable for reefs. The lowest suggested color temp is 6500k. Usually home lights, greenhouse bulbs, etc., can be as low as 3k - 4k. These bulbs emit a very ugly green-yellow light.

For a reef tank. you'd want to look at either VHO, PC, MH, or some combo. thereof.

HTH,

Back
Top Bottom