Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And par is generally higher in colored bulbs is that not right? I am learning along with everyone else. :)

Then what is the prupose of actinics? I thought it was for coral growth and that THAT depended on par. I'm curious cause I'm just running the 20k bulb in my 20g and I want coral growth. I am also considering skipping leds and buying a regular MH fixture with actinci support for the coral growth. And actinic are blue so.....see where I'm going with this line of questions? I may not be asking the right questions though lol

no. that's not true. if you have enough PAR, you'll get maximum growth, period. no matter what the color of the bulb you are using is. since all of our lamps are full spectrum, the actinics are basically for looks. growth can be achieved with a 20k bulb, if the intensity is there.
generally, you'll get more growth out of a 10k bulb, because it has more PAR. then you use your blues to make the tank look good and the corals appear to fluoresce.

Ok, so it;'s not necessary for me to add actinic support for a mh 20k bulb then? as long as its putting out enough par? I thought the corals needed the blue spectrum for growth as well, not even sure how I have that idea in my head. lol

As a frame of referrance, the fluorescent fixture you find in most offices have lamps (a bulb is something you plant in the ground) that are 35,000 degrees Kelvin.

As a frame of referrance, the fluorescent fixture you find in most offices have lamps (a bulb is something you plant in the ground) that are 35,000 degrees Kelvin.

Well I was learning something until you hit with this. Are you like some of the gun guys? a magazine fits in a gun, a clip does not?:rolleyes:

Well I was learning something until you hit with this. Are you like some of the gun guys? a magazine fits in a gun, a clip does not?:rolleyes:

LOL No, I am an electrical contractor who learned under some of the Old Crasftmen. To them, you didn't know what you were talking about unless you knew the proper terms. :facepalm: I heard that comment many times when I was an apprentice.

Ok, light bulbs are now in place (man do these guys know how to pack) and I'm happy. The 10000k bulbs look a little dim but I think thats because I've been running 6 6500ks for a few days, and now I have my blues back on.

I'd buy another one if I needed it.

Now I have 8 6500ks that I either have to store or sell. lol

Back
Top Bottom