Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Just a heads up Carey MAP pricing is only minimum advertised pricing, so the retailer can sell them for whatever they want. They just can't advertise under that price. In the future you know they are lieing if they say they can't sell them for under that. Sometimes their isn't much mark up, but 95 percent of the time their is.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
They get pretty upset if you sell them for whatever you want. They want them sold at a reasonable price so that they remain valuable. Sales and free shipping are allowed, but I know a few companies that would frown on major discounts.
Let's face it- this hobby isn't that big that things can be easily missed.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #13

Very true some companies do frown upon it, but what I was trying to say is that a lot of times people can sell stuff cheaper than they advertise it for. I know with my girlfriend working at the Lfs I can buy stud at employee pricing which is a huge discount on almost everything. Idk if that is an exception though. Anyways that is a sweet light at a great price!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Pictures are coming.

Mr. X. thank you for your thoughts. I went in and programmed the lights never to go above 55% intensity, so the cycle still goes on, but it is only at the 55% intensity for a couple of hours and decreases after the peak, and works towards the peak in the morning.

Part of the program also coordinates with local sunrise and sunset times, so it is actually running less time than my other non adjustable LED.

I'll keep an eye on everything and hopefully, everything will adjust well.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's one killer fixture. Grats!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #16

I didn't know the fixture would coordinate with sunrise and sunset. That is very interesting. How do you set that up?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Even still, i use the analogy-if you stare at the sun for 2 hours or 10 hours, your still blind. Just because the photo period may be less or the fixture is at 50% doesn't necessarily mean the potency or potential for damage is not present. I'm just cautious after that incident I mentioned.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:07 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Race 3370 - Upon further review, I believe I am mistaken, but you can set the sunrise & sunset times manually and totally customize a sunrise & sunset, spectrum and apparently, everything in between. Not sure I'll need all that, but so far, I'm enjoying it!

Mr. X - you are absolutely right! I'll keep a close eye on the tank and corals. I turned down the overall "Brightness" to 45%, so that no matter what program is running, the peak brightness will never exceed 45% and only for a short time in the program. I certainly don't want to lose any corals!

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and input!

Mike
Old 01-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #19

Well the light is very cool either way. I really wanted to go with that setup, but it was just out of the budget.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Congrats Mike on the great fixture! It's exciting to see the technology available to us now. So cool you can program the lighting throughout the day like that.

boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com