Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lighting Question

I have a Nano Reef (34 Gallon) with a variety of soft and LPS corals, including a clam. It is an Innovative Marine tank with their match 30w LED lighting. The LED is 14k and includes 2 blue "Moon" lights. Everything in my tank seems to be healthy, happy, and doing well.

I noticed the other day that I could pick up a "Strip" light of Actinic lights that could span across my tank and was wondering if anyone thinks that there would be any benefit? Having never used actinic lighting, I'm not quite sure what they provide for a reef tank.

From what I understand, these will add a visually pleasing "Blue" effect to my tank? Are they worth it, in consideration of what I already have? Are there any potential problems?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Mike

Old 01-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think it would be neat to add, will give your tank a bluer look if you run themwith the 14k's. And if you run just the blues I bet your corals will look awesome!

Old 01-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi Carey!

Happy New Year. It's funny, I just went to my LFS to get some water and they are selling the ECOTECH Radion fixture for $600. They just started carrying them and he is only selling these at this price, then it goes up to the standard $735. What to do, what to do? Seriously expensive, but marked down considerably. It offers all kinds of features including a full spectrum of colors which are adjustable in color and intensity, sunrise & sunset, clouds, storms, wirelessly controllable, etc.

Uggg. I hate/love this hobby! I guess I could see if I could sell my current LED tablet and second born (Just kidding)?

Have a great day!

Mike
Old 01-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

That LFS is breaking the pricing rules if he is selling them for $600. LOL The ecotech items are MAP priced meaning they CAN NOT sell them for less than what the manufacturer says to sell it for. If I had $600 I would probably get it though haha....
Old 01-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow. I didn't know that, I would really like to get that unit, but even with the rule breaking, $600 plus tax is a lot (For me anyway)!

I'm sure they will go fast and by the time I decide to go in, they may already be gone, problem solved! LOL.

Mike
Old 01-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Since he is breaking the rules on the lights now might be the time to see if he will sell you a vortech powerhead cheap. LOL Same manufacturer and same MAP pricing rules. Alot cheaper though and still a great buy.

I wish i could find someone to sell me stuff that cheap, but in the end it's probably for the best or I'd have a ton of stuff and even less money than I do now. hehe
Old 01-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Those radions are real nice but.I heard today they are recalling some of them I believe the greens keep blowing out or something like that. So just check into that first.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

O.K.,

So I bit the bullet and went to my local fish store and bought the Radion. I'll be selling the innovative marine 30w tablet, so that will help offset the purchase. I was wrong about the price, it wasn't 600, but rather $635, still quite a price cut. The owner also gave me a deal on the deluxe hanging set.

I now have it installed, used the software to tweak the programming, I turned down the intensity to a max of 58%. This fixture at 100% is bright! Relative to my 18" tank depth. The amount of control is super neat, especially for a techno geek like myself. I can't wait to dial in the fixture for my tank. I used the provided mini USB and software to set up, so I can't comment too much on the touch controls, but are located on the top, are touch sensitive and actually have no "Real" buttons. The software is not overly complicated and relatively simple to use.

Initial observations after a couple hours of operation. All fish are out and about. They don't seem too upset by the change. My corals all seem normal, with my frogspawn looking particularly good under the blue lights. My clam also seems to be opening wider than I have ever seen before.

Just looking at the tank it seems almost to bright, by the way it is hanging about 8 to 10 inches above the surface. I may dial down the brightness 5 or 10% and see how that works.

Visually, I am very pleased with the sleek look of the unit. It is virtually silent, especially when compared to the Innovative Marine unit. The now dominant noise coming from my tank is the protein skimmer. The deluxe hanging set was well worth the purchase and it make the Radion seem as though it is floating over my rimless tank.

Overall, I'm pleased with the investment!

Mike
Old 01-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
be careful not to cook the corals. They need to be acclimated to that light slowly. Just because they are open now, doesn't mean you aren't doing damage. Back in my metal halide days, i simply changed a 10 month bulb out for a new one which was the same color, from the same manufacturer, and about 5 days later i started seeing corals freaking out. I lost large colonies.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Great purchase! When are we gonna see some pictures? LOL

really good price too, can't believe someone is selling them that cheap. That extra $100 is a super selling point. lol

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com