lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lziarek

Aquarium Advice Freak
whats the average wattage of flourescent lighting that comes standard with tanks? Will this be enough for a FOWLR setup?

with FOWLR you really only need enough light to view the fish. So a standard light will work. but it's hard not to go "reef"

Lighting seems to be easy to upgrade, so it seems like it is something to leave for another day especially since i would like to start off with a FOWLR system. The goal is to have 1.5lbs per gallon, maybe 2lbs per gallon depending how everything looks. Will it be concievable to add better lighting and then start adding corals, nothing i have read would seem to suggest otherwise?

Depending on the setup you are looking at, I would start out with compact fluorescent lighting. The extra intensity will be good for coralline algae growth and any photosynthetic hitchikers on the rock will also appreciate the extra light. With PC lighting you can also start out with some hardy soft corals without upgrading, like shrooms, leathers etc. As far as wattage, it depends a lot on the depth of your tank. HTH

Back
Top Bottom