Lighting Question - 29G BioCube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nxb161

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a standard 29G Oceanic BioCube. It has the 36W Compact Fluorescent (True Actinic 03 Blue) and (10,000K Daylight) plus 3-75W Lunar Blue Moon Glow- LED. I have a couple quesitons. I currently have all 3 on the same timer cycle. Roughly 10hours on, 14hours off. Should the Moon-Glow be kept on @ night? I was thinking of taking the Actinic out and replacing it with a light that does more for coral. Any suggestions, thanks!

I have a 14g biocube. I use 3 timers and have my actinics coming on for about 45 mins before and after my daylights. As for moons they aren't really much use if they aren't on after your other lights go off. They aren't even noticeable. My moons are on for most of the night but are on a timer which gives the tank a couple hours of complete darkness. I think that the bulbs are fine as they are and I wouldn't get rid of my actinic for anything. It makes the colors of my corals stand out way more and I have seen a great amount of growth from everything. Thats in my tank though. My understanding of lighting isnt that great but I know actinics do a good bit for coral.

I have a standard 29G Oceanic BioCube. It has the 36W Compact Fluorescent (True Actinic 03 Blue) and (10,000K Daylight) plus 3-75W Lunar Blue Moon Glow- LED. I have a couple quesitons. I currently have all 3 on the same timer cycle. Roughly 10hours on, 14hours off. Should the Moon-Glow be kept on @ night? I was thinking of taking the Actinic out and replacing it with a light that does more for coral. Any suggestions, thanks!

I think you are a little limited if you are dealing with CF lights. If you want more coral growth then yes, switch out the actinics for something with a 10k to 20k kelvin rating. However, you will be sacrificing nice color for growth. If I had moon lights, I would run them separately after the lights go off, but I would still have a time period of complete darkness.

Back
Top Bottom