Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bleu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
currently I have a marine land reef capable LED lighting with timer control. Hopefully someone is familiar with that lighting system. My question is is that sufficient enough light to keep my corals? I have A Merulina sps, Stylophora sps, toadstool, a few blastos, a colt softie, meat coral, open lobe brain, elegance a few polyps and a giant Duncan. I believe it's 10 K lighting with antic LEDs also. Oh another thing is it's only 36 inches long expandable, which does not cover my whole tank end to end. I used it on a smaller 46 gallon prior. If I continue using this until I get enough money to buy a better lighting, Wilma coral survive and thrive? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412440923.052590.jpgIf that is not enough can you tell me which would be suitable?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Forgot to say tank is 72g 48" wide, 23" deep... So with my marine land lighting, will they start dying or how long can I safely use it? Don't have the dough to get a new one right this moment.

with SPS ASAP would be best

if you look at the vendors ebay site you can find ones a lot cheaper than the ones listed

I think it's a crime that Marineland sells a light called "reef capable" when it clearly isn't. The paltry amount of 1 watt LEDS they use that are on the low end of crappy quality barely provides enough light to support a mushroom close to the light. Those lights won't even support the lighting needs in a sump. And they are stupid expensive too.

Criminal.

You'll start to see the corals decline over a few weeks most likely. Some, like the SPS will go quickly once they start to go. :-(

Just try to use placement to your advantage for now, it might buy you some time.

I think it's a crime that Marineland sells a light called "reef capable" when it clearly isn't. The paltry amount of 1 watt LEDS they use that are on the low end of crappy quality barely provides enough light to support a mushroom close to the light. Those lights won't even support the lighting needs in a sump. And they are stupid expensive too.

Criminal.

what they consider to be reef capable is to just keep zoa's

these ive used on my 37g and can vouch for them
inexpensive too. less than the marineland light
softies, LPS , SPS there listed as 1w but they are actually 2w

Micro Sun LED High Output Clamp Light-6 in.-8W-Super Blue

Micro Sun LED High Output Clamp Light-6 in.-8W-Daylight

heres the proof:cool:

February 2013 Tank of the Month: 54seaweed's 37 Gallon Mixed Reef

i have (2) of the marine land reef capable single watt. (1 was free).

i do not recommend them. that being said,

all my corals are doing well. not thriving. but doing well. all LPS. one torch coral i keep about 10" from the top.

Back
Top Bottom