Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

booker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am a newbie here, but I just got my 50 gal pent fo set up. Any way I saw an aquarium in a restraunt a few weeks ago and the lights looked like black lights. They had some powder blue tangs and a blue velvet damsel in there and the lights made the edges of the tang and the lines in the damsel glow. Does anyone know how I could accomplish this? TIA.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice Booker.

The lighting you saw was most likely: Actinic lighting.
They have a blue color to them. hey are NOT blacklights, I and many others here will not recomend using blacklights. You may want to incorporate an Actinic light into your regular lighting for your tank.

Do a search on "Actinic" and you will find some interesting articles. Enjoy your stay with us and we hope to see you often. You can not find a better place for information than right here. There are many folks here that will be able to answer any questions regarding fishkeeping. Ask, and you will be answered.

Mike

I have accompished this using 4x65w pc's - 2 actinics, and 2 10,000's. I also added the 40w Blue Moon NO for a more blue effect. I wanted to achieve the same look. Definitely not blacklights.

Mike

Thanks for the help, I was pretty sure they weren't black lights but that was the only way i could describe it. The only antic light i know i've seen i was told was a 50/50 mix with 10k, but this tank had a heavy blue cast to everything (water looked blue). the one i want to duplicate didn't have this cast, just really made the fish stand out. I'll definately read up on the antics though, i'm sure it's some mixture of them. btw, thanks for the welcome, this place is great.

brian

Back
Top Bottom