Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morticus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, so I have a 55g FOWLR tank and I want to make a DIY PC light strip. I checked out www.ahsupply.com and saw that I could either get two 22 inch long 55w strips for a strip having a total of 2 WPG ...or... I could get two 22 inch long strips that hold 2 55w lights each making it a total of 4 WPG. Is the extra 2 WPG worth $40 extra?

If you are only going with fish then pretty much any lighting will do. If you are planning to go reef sometime then get the best lights you can now so you don't have to buy again later

thats sufficient, i think you may even add some soft corals with that light. The more light the better for rocks and reef wise, so spend the xtra 40 bucks! IMO

the more light, the more heat too. If you go with that many, you may need to add a small fan to your lighting canopy.

If you have no plans of going reef ever and are more of a aggresive FO style tank just go with about 2 watts per gallon that would be cheaper for equipent and cheaper on your electric bill

You won't be disappointed. It isn't just corals, it is anemones, clams... if you want either of those you're going to want the extra WPG too. You don't know happiness until you've seen your corals waving in the breeze. Fish? What fish?! We joke all the time about how we look at the corals first and then some time later notice we have fish in the tank!

Back
Top Bottom