lighting question ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMist

Aquarium Advice Freak
what would be ideal over an 85 gallon reef tank?, a 250 watt or 400 watt halide? the tank is 3' x 2.5' (18" deep) so only one would really be neccessary. also what kelvin rating would work? I know its a personal preferance however some other peoples opinions would be nice, TIA

I think a 250 would be sufficient, as that tank is not very deep. If you arent' using any suplemental actinics, i would use a 14K to get a little blue, but not too much.

Thanks,

I think VHO`s would be nice but that`s not the question is it?

I've seen pictures of VHO's and they do look effective, however it's not really an option, they're not available anywhere in the UK (or i've never seen them at least), also, because of the shape of the tank I would need quite a few which means costly replacments twice a year plus more fluorescent starters. The 'shimmering' effect on the sand given by halides also cannot be matched by fluorescent IMO.

I think 14000k would be perfect but would 250w be enough by itself?

Not really. its more of the intensity that you are looking for. You'll be fine with that lighting. You want about one metal halide for every two feet of tank space. At least thats what I've heard. I think 250w is good up to 3 feet deep as well.

ntswift said:
Not really. its more of the intensity that you are looking for. You'll be fine with that lighting. You want about one metal halide for every two feet of tank space. At least thats what I've heard. I think 250w is good up to 3 feet deep as well.

That is what I use also is the two foot rule. Works good for me. With your tank depth a 250w 14k would work well unless you want keep clams on the bottom then I would go with the 400w. With your tank width you may get some dim spots on the sides.

Thanks for the replies, having a couple dim spots either side is probably a better option than having to replace two bulbs. so I will go with a 14k 250w. thanks

With your tank depth a 250w 14k would work well unless you want keep clams on the bottom then I would go with the 400w. With your tank width you may get some dim spots on the sides.

I think that you would be okay with clams under a 250w. My friend has a gigas under almost that exact setup and its doing awesome. Maybe a crocea or maxima wouldnt be a good idea but then again you could put them up at the top of the tank. They are rock dwelling clams anyway! Anyway I think you'll be happy with your decision. Good luck!

well, I changed my mind, instead of going with a single 250w (which would have been a DIY box type thing) Iv'e found a sale on a brand new aquarium dual 150w halide complete with 14k bulbs for only £150, which seems too good of a deal to turn down, this should be okay to keep soft coral which I prefer to any other coral anyways, would I be able to keep a BTA if kept high in the tank?

I think a BTA would be okay under that. However you dont place a BTA where you want it. It goes where it wants to go. Hopefully its a smart anemone and get up to the top. I think it will be okay though. Maybe someone with the same setup can tell you a little more.

However you dont place a BTA where you want it. It goes where it wants to go

ah, thats true, maybe I didn't think that through ... but if it isn't stupid, and it's happy with the water, shouldn't it find a spot where it gets enough light?

yes it should. However my anemone looked until it found my PH. Then it was all over the tank. Just make sure you have something keeping it away from them. I had to learn the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom