Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-18-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Lighting Question

Hi all,
Just bought a pair of Percula clowns and no anenome at this time. I currently have a 48" 50/50 Daylight/Actinic bulb in a flourescent strip light. The LFS said I need something better for the long-tentacle anenome. would this work? What is your opinion of it. Thanks. Its for a 75 Gal tank.

ken_wied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
This sounds like disaster...IMHO....

To fail to plan is to plan to fail.
MarineFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
What would be a good lighting system that doesnt cost a fortune for anenomes?
ken_wied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:04 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Well...unfortunately, there aren't really any good lighting systems that are cheap. If you buy cheap lights, then cheap lights are what you have. The least lighting I would even consider for a 75 would be a 4x48" VHO system (or equivalent PC or T5). For an anemone, I wouldn't do less than 2x250w MH. Sure, you could do 175w, but why? 250's are about the same price. But...your clowns don't need an anemone. They will host several different corals...I have a pair of percs that hang out in a mushroom. In the ocean, anemones are nearly immortal. They live for hundreds of years. They average about 6 months in an aquarium. 3 years is unusual. 5 years is almost unheard of. Some people manage to keep them alive long term, but a very high percentage die in aquariums. My vote is to leave the anemone where it can live and offer your clowns something else to host in. But if you do buy one, you're gonna need to get some MH lights IMO.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:16 PM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I would consider MH`s or T-5 `s. PC`s or VHO`s dont have the intensity for a anenome. If you want to go by the WGG rule which is really outdated because of technology of lighting it should be at least 5 or 6 WPG.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:17 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I agree with loganj. Anemones are tough to care for and usually have a poor survival rate. However, if you cannot take the anemone back...I would go with something more like this, as the bare minimum. More would be preferred though.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:39 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I think you could get the 432 Watt one. I have the 216W one and love it. I also think they are located in your state.
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
If you really really want an anemone and must have one... get a bta. They are hardier than lta's and all others. When you get one make sure it is healthy- it should be attached to something and no visible cuts/or damage to it, especially the foot.

FYI your clowns may not go near the anemone.

I'm lucky and have a pair of O. clowns with a bta in my 20 nano reef- 130 watt pc lights.
I also have a rock anemone. They are cool, but don't serve as hosts to clowns.
Lance M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie
75 gallon halide

I have a 75 gallon with 2x250 halide at 10k ... it looks really whitish yellow... I also have 4x65 actinic running ...
do you think I should change the 2x250 halide to 20k ??
whats the best combination of light for lps and anemone's .. etc...
jjcbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
All very good advice. At the very minimum, a 4x65watt CF fixture will be okay for a BTA. I would consider 4x96watt CF as a better alternative, especially for a LTA. Remember, this species prefers to dwell where the rockwork and sandbed meet. therefore, you will need a light that will penetrate to the bottom of the tank.

Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote

light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com