Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-21-2003, 02:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lighting Question for a 120Gal

I lost the old reply I got, so I apologize for having to ask this again (though the last time was months ago!). I have a 120Gal aquarium...it is 72" (6ft.) long. The support braces through the middle divide the top into 3 sections at 24" a piece. How should I do this to get uniform light propogation? 3 sets of 24" VHO 4-bulb sets, or 4 96w PCs, 2 in back, 2 in front, and 2 MH in between them, or what? Also, I'm going to build my own wooden canopy, complete with fans, but should I remove the glass covers over the aquarium? They are hinged, and the joints are plastic which would also block some light and inhibit air exchange over the water surface. What do you all think? Thanks, everyone, you've taught me a lot. On that note, I work at a PETsMART and I send all people looking to get into saltwater to this site, because you really have helped me learn a TON. So thanks, for all your work, time, and effort. You guys kick ***.

Old 12-21-2003, 06:19 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
With fluorescents of any kind, I don't think you'll notice the dividers. If I wanted VHO, I would use 72" bulbs. PC's, I'd use 96w bulbs. If you want MH, you'll need three bulbs for a 6' tank. I would lose the glass tops...they inhibit gas exchange and trap heat. The lighting really depends on what you want to keep. If you're looking to get into high light inverts someday...SPS, anemones, ect...go with the MH setup. If you only want soft corals and other low light critters, VHO or PC would be fine. If I used MH, I'd probably have a couple of either PC or VHO actinics on there as well.

Old 12-21-2003, 08:09 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...light=lighting

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 12:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks loganj!
And thanks again Reefrunner69! You've both helped me in the past, and thanks for helping me again. 8)
Old 12-21-2003, 09:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I want to get the lights from hellolights.com, so how would I go about setting up the 6x165w VHOs? Buy a 4x165w retrofit and a 2x165w retrofit, and cut the reflectors where the two meet, or what? I'm assuming that then in the future, I'd lose 2 or 4 bulbs to add my 3 MHs. Is this correct? TIA.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:21 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I'd probably go with 4x160w bulbs. I have a 4x160 on a 180g tank and the soft corals are thriving.

Tags
20 gallon, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com