Lighting question - topic renamed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glomgold

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon tank that measures 48"L x 18"H x 13"D and I just recently purchased a canopy for it. I was wondering if it would be OK for me to purchase a 36" lightstrip instead of a 48" one? I notcied that the fans on all the lightstrips are on the sides of the strip, and I figured if I bought a 48" lightstrip, the fans wouldn't have anywhere to blow except strait into the canopy wall. I really don't want to cut holes in my canopy to allow the air out. I plan on getting a 36" PC 4x65 lightstrip, but before I make the purchase, I want to be sure I'm going to get nice, even lighting with a light that's smaller than my tank.

TIA

Please do not bait people into threads.

Anyway, 260 watts could be considered low for a 55g depending on what you want to keep in the tank.

I'm changing the topic of this thread, for 2 reasons:

1. I don't find it appropriate to 'bait' people into threads with a misleading title
2. because with an appropriate title, other users will be able to find the useful information within this thread - which is what this site is all about (and the primary reason for the title change)

I don't think 260 on a 55 is all that low. I had 220 on my 75 and had great results. As long as you know what you will be stocking. Sofites and maybe a few LPS's could be done. With a 36" fixture though you will have to watch what you put on the fringes.

Not sure what that will look like though..

Now that the subject actually matches the question I will reply.

Im quite confused why your buying what sounds like a complete hood lighting solution and also having an enclosed canopy. maybe your just using the terms incorrectly.

Most people who purchase a canopy wire their lights directly into the canopy vs having teh canopy simply sit over top of a hood on the tank. The fans are in the prebuilt hood units for a reason so if your putting an enclosed canopy over top of this hood then you will run the risk of rasing the temperature inside the canopy and the tank itself due to the heat output of the lights.

I would suggest going with a PC retro kit and installing the reflectors and bulbs in the canopy that you have and then mounting teh ballast remotly.

Back
Top Bottom