Lighting question_ How many watts is enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chriskuke

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

I read in one of the articles lighting should be between 4-6 watts per gallon. The LFS said between 6-8 watts per gal. I'm researching for a 120gal reef tank, which by these calculations is alot of watts. I'm looking at a T5/MH combination light with blue led night lights, it is 730 watts which seems like alot to me. My tank is pretty deep which affects the amount required, to my understanding anyway. You guys are the experts what do you think?:confused:

I'm not quite sure what corals i'd have. A variety. I don't want to limit it too much but I also don't want to go all wild and crazy with it either.

Well let me suggest something. Look at other folks gallery and then see what lighting they have. If you check out my images you`ll see I use VHO retro fits. I have 4 110 watt bulbs. 2 50/50 and 2 super actinic bulbs. I have mostly soft and LPS corals. I have a few moderate light SPS corals. Like I said take a look at my images and then look at other`s images and see what looks good to you. BTW Welcome to AA

Nice tank Melosu, that's pretty much what I'm looking for. The light I'm looking at has 2-250W Metal Halide bulbs, 4-54W actinic bulbs and 6 LED blue moon lights as well as a fan. Would that be a comparable set up to yours? My tank is shorter than yours in length but quite a bit deeper I think. Very top to very bottom is 31".

Oh no. Yours is better and has more intensity than mine. You`ll be OK on the high light SPS corals as Mine will not.

Thanks Melosu, that actually helps me alot.
Roka the light is a generic brand and made in China. Thanks for your help with the filtration questions too. I did alot of research and went back in to quiz the guy at the LFS and he told me my set up would be fine for what I want to do and that I probably wouldn't really need a skimmer. I still haven't decided if I'll get a skimmer. But the lighting will probably come first.

Lighting, like skimmers are two things, it's better to save the money and get the name brand.

Agree with roka... and even more so when it comes to metal halide lighting. Just be sure you Google whatever brand you're looking at before you buy - with some brands, you could be getting a real fire hazard.

Back
Top Bottom