Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2003, 01:22 PM   #11

I do believe the Power Glo is going to benifit you. In this case, i will definately get rid of the yellow, as, it it more white/blue. I really like my Power Glo lights.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:40 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Quote:
If so any recomendations on a replacement globe?
What exactly is a globe? The picture it conjurs for me is an incandescent light bulb. You are going to need more than 90W of light on your tank. I would start with closer to 250W total and move up from there. Since you want to keep corals, you will have much better growth and color from more intense lighting. This is the part that is most often overlooked/under done by new reef keepers, me included.

Mark

Old 02-02-2003, 01:50 PM   #13
Lee
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Globe = Flourescent light bulb/globe, wait...TUBE..thats what it is! 250watts!? 8O uuuumm, for sale....lighting setup for 3 foot aquarium (3x30w) **** it never ends
Old 02-02-2003, 06:20 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Its a 31g
Actually it is a 40g.

Quote:
and the wattage is 3 x30.
I don't think you have enough light to do stoney corals. What you have may do OK, for awile, but it will, in all likelyhood, turn brown and slowly wither away. It is imperative that you target feed these corals until you can upgrade the lighting. The elegance will like med to large meaty foods, and the gonipora and leathers will appreciate some phytoplankton (actually the phyto will feed what the goni feeds on).

Quote:
i have heard that a yellowish globe has no benefit in a reef type tank as it doesnt benefit plant nor animal , is this true?
No, it's not true. The noon day sun is rated at about 5500K (very yellow). Spectrum is important, but a yellow spectrum is not bad for the corals.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:10 PM   #15
Lee
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thank you for your input, i will look into the phytoplankton, and on the issue of the gallon size of the tank, gallon isnt a common term used here, we use litres and i took a guess at converting the two, guess i got it wrong, oh well its bigger than i thought, i wont argue with that!
Old 02-03-2003, 12:06 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
we use litres and i took a guess at converting the two, guess i got it wrong, oh well its bigger than i thought, i wont argue with that!
It's not a problem at all. We have a section for calculators, where you can determine your tank volume with the measurements. You can also post in litres, we have a calculator to convert that as well, thanks to fishfreek

Don't let the lighting get you down. As Mark said, it is a mistake made by many of us, you are here now and we can steer you in the right direction.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com