Lighting Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, we are just setting up a new tank, at the moment, we have 3 lights.. One has a white look. one yellow and one is a marine glow, I do not understand what the different lights do, and is there a order I need to have them in over the tank, for the best look?

Lights use what is called a KELVIN rating. This rating tells you what the light will look like when its powered up. The higher the rating the more blue the light will appear.

For example it sounds like you might have lights that fall in the following Kelvin scale

5000K - yellow light
7200K - white light
10000K - marine glow

I am guessing at that somewhat because I dont know what your describing as a marine glow.

The best look is a look that you like the best. Obviouly we all have different tastes so what looks good on one tank might not look good for another person. I prefer 10K bulbs myself and then suplment this light with actinic 03 bulbs.

The actinic bulbs is what give off the very deep blue almost purple light.

Could you give us details on your tank like size and what you want to keep in it and then also info on the bulbs you have now. are they normal florecent bulbs?

I'm going to hazard a guess that the reference to "marine glow" is the Marine Glo bulb by Hagen...their version of a NO actinic. I like the 10k/actinic combo also.
Logan J

I am a little confused, the box the marine glow came in says its rated higher than 18.000k and yes its a Hagen, the other two I don’t know, they came in the fitting, it was called a double aluminum reflector, it had two tubes in it, and sound like the ones that fish freak described above, we have only had the tank set up for 6 weeks. Its a 31g, we have four coral in it at the moment, and are adding two weekly, we have 5 more held at our LFS. So all up we will have nine corals and 3 small fish. 8O
(Yellow tailed damsel, green chromis, and coral beauty) we also have 70lb of live rock. In the next few weeks, we will buy a Red Sea Prizm Deluxe skimmer.

Here is pic of the tank as it is at the moment.

Sorry its not a very good pic, as it was only taken by a web cam :roll: Lee.

the box the marine glow came in says its rated higher than 18.000k

Since fishfreek wasn't familir with the marine glo he was guessing at a Kelvin rating...which is even more difficult, if you can't see the color of the particular bulb. I'm sure the Marine Glo has a higher K rating.

Its a 31g, we have four coral in it at the moment, and are adding two weekly, we have 5 more held at our LFS.

What are the demensions of this tank? What is the wattage of the bulbs? What corals have you purchased and what is on hold?

Lighting

Marine Glo bulbs from hagen are Actinics. I currently use the Power Glo bulbs and am very pleased. The Kelvin on the PG's is 18,000K. I have attached the K rating label from the side of the box for reference.

Yellow tailed damsel, green chromis, and coral beauty

It is your choice, but, if I had it to do over again, I would not mix the Yellow Tail with the Green Chromis. The GC is so mild tempered and shy, that the YT will most likely pick on it. You can however get the GC bigger than the YT and you may be ok. YT Damsels are very aggressive fish. Mine does not care how big the fish is, it will aggetate the biggest to no end. I really want to get rid of them now, because of this. I am going to invest in a fish trap, or rearrange the whole tank taking all of the rock out and catch every last one of them. Until then, I am scared to put anymore fish in my tank. From what I hear, the Coral Beauty is a mild mannered angel. Good looking too. JMHO... :)

Ya i was confused. I thought you where describing the color output not the name on the bulb. You said
One has a white look. one yellow and one is a marine glow

So that lead me to belive that you where just describing what you had seen on other marine tanks as the color specitrum.

It was my understanding that true actinic bulbs had no Kelvin rating. Course I could be wrong again
:?

Thank you all for replying,
Firstly reefrunner, the dimensions of the tank are 36 x 18 x14, and the wattage is 3 x30. Corals kept are..goniapora, 2 elegance corals, mushroom, and some others i cant name :oops:
Timbo, that K guide is the same one on the marine glo box we have and on the topic of the Yellow Tailed Damsel, funny that, we did have 3 green chromis, the YTD actually grabbed the bigger of the 3 chromis and dragged it backwards around the tank,then proceeded to ram it into the glass, incredible i thought. im not the person whom posted the first question i hope i can come across more clearly :roll:
My question is..we have 3 lights atop the tank..the actinic..the white.. and a yellowish globe,the problem being in my opinion the yellowish light dominates the tank and spoils the colouration of the corals and rock, i have heard that a yellowish globe has no benefit in a reef type tank as it doesnt benefit plant nor animal , is this true? If so any recomendations on a replacement globe? Perhaps the Power Glo Timbo ?
Sorry for the long post.
Cheers.

I do believe the Power Glo is going to benifit you. In this case, i will definately get rid of the yellow, as, it it more white/blue. I really like my Power Glo lights.

If so any recomendations on a replacement globe?
What exactly is a globe? The picture it conjurs for me is an incandescent light bulb. You are going to need more than 90W of light on your tank. I would start with closer to 250W total and move up from there. Since you want to keep corals, you will have much better growth and color from more intense lighting. This is the part that is most often overlooked/under done by new reef keepers, me included.

Mark

Globe = Flourescent light bulb/globe, wait...TUBE..thats what it is! 250watts!? 8O uuuumm, for sale....lighting setup for 3 foot aquarium (3x30w) damn it never ends :cry:

Its a 31g

Actually it is a 40g.

and the wattage is 3 x30.

I don't think you have enough light to do stoney corals. What you have may do OK, for awile, but it will, in all likelyhood, turn brown and slowly wither away. It is imperative that you target feed these corals until you can upgrade the lighting. The elegance will like med to large meaty foods, and the gonipora and leathers will appreciate some phytoplankton (actually the phyto will feed what the goni feeds on).

i have heard that a yellowish globe has no benefit in a reef type tank as it doesnt benefit plant nor animal , is this true?

No, it's not true. The noon day sun is rated at about 5500K (very yellow). Spectrum is important, but a yellow spectrum is not bad for the corals.

Thank you for your input, i will look into the phytoplankton, and on the issue of the gallon size of the tank, gallon isnt a common term used here, we use litres and i took a guess at converting the two, guess i got it wrong, oh well its bigger than i thought, i wont argue with that!

we use litres and i took a guess at converting the two, guess i got it wrong, oh well its bigger than i thought, i wont argue with that!

It's not a problem at all. We have a section for calculators, where you can determine your tank volume with the measurements. You can also post in litres, we have a calculator to convert that as well, thanks to fishfreek (y)

Don't let the lighting get you down. As Mark said, it is a mistake made by many of us, you are here now and we can steer you in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom