lighting questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crshnbrn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is the main differences between metal halide lamp i see at marine dealers that are like 500 dollars and say a fixture from www.1000bulbs.com For example

250 Watts, BT-28 Sylvania Brand Metal Halide, E39 Mogul Base, Length 8.31", Diameter 3.50", Kelvin 4200, CRI 65, ANSI M58/E, Universal Burn Position, Average Life Hours 10,000, Approximate Initial Lumens 22,000, Approximate Mean Lumens 17,000, Case Quantity 6, Price Is Per Each Bulb, No Minimum Order.
$10.53

Description: MH250/MultiTap
Sola Brand - Voted Best Ballast For It's Low Heat Producing Factor
250 Watts, Multi-Tap Metal Halide Ballast, 120/208/240/277 Volts, Bulb Type 250 Watt Metal Halide/250 Watt Mercury Vapor, ANSI M58, ISO-9001 Rated, Reduced Heat, Priced Individually, No Minimum Order.
$46.68

I understand i would have to build canopy but why is there such a variance in price?

The ballast you found is fine. I am running a similar multi tap ballast myself. Although you could probably find a similar ballast for a little cheaper at your local electrical supply warehouse. If not, $45 + shipping still isn't bad.

As for the bulb you listed, Sparky is right. It's K rating is way to low to use. Your tank would look miserable yellow.

IMHO, the lighting fixtures you fine in the LFS are horrible overpriced. I built my own light canopy because I refused to shell out the money they wanted. My canopy consists of 1 250w MH and 2 55w PC's. It cost me around $200 to build it myself. Had I wanted to buy the same thing already premade, it would have cost over $500 easily.

I also built my own. I have a 125 gallon tank. I have (3) 250W MH Hamilton bulbs @ 20,000K and (4) 4 foot Actinic lights. I also have (2) fans to disipate the heat from the lighting and tempature controller for the heaters mounted into the top.

Mine was a bit more than 200 dollars to build, but it is fairly large also. The cost really does play a part in this, but the satisfaction of building it yourself will justify the cost.

just getting ready to build my own canopy next weekend to house 2 96watt PC's. even the plain wood canopy's they sell are overpriced. hurray for DIY!

Back
Top Bottom