Lighting questions????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

something_fishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, it's me again, Chris. I went out today to my lfs and to my surprise there it was, a flourescent light canopy that was 50% off because the box was damaged. Well, I bought that puppy right away and put it on my 15 gallon marine tank. The bulb is a "Marine Glow" and it makes everything blue in colour, the guy at the lfs said that it would be the best for a marine tank. Is this a good light bulb??? I only have one light slot so should I go with the life glow instead?? Is the blue good for things like bubbletip anemone and such??? Oh, I also got a new fluval underwater filter that is rated for 90 litres. So now I have 2 aqua clear 200's and 1 fluval 90. The tank has a bunch of live rock and two anemone, 2 clown fish and 2 green spotted puffers, also a few hermit crabs and a recent discovery, a tiny 3 legged starfish!!
Any input would be appreciated.

The Marine Glo is an actinic bulb. I'd probably go with the Life-Glo or the Power-Glo. I believe they are both 18000k (advertised). If you have the room for two bulbs, I'd use the Marine-Glo with another bulb of 6500k or higher. You can get a daylight bulb by GE at Lowes that is 6500k and makes a slightly (IMO) yellow light.
Logan J

I agree with loganj, you will definately want to supplement it with the Life Glo or Power Glo.

BTW:

Power Glo is 18000K
Aqua Glo is 18000K (w/ Red tint)
Life Glo is 6700K
Sun Glo is 4200K
Flora Glo is 2800K
Marine Glo is Actinic

Thanks for clearing that up on the color temps Timbo. I was working from memory which is never a safe proposition with me :) .
Logan J

The tank has a bunch of live rock and two anemone, 2 clown fish and 2 green spotted puffers,

What size tank, what is the wattage of the fixture? What kind of anemone is it? Wondering when the puffer will eat them...

IMHO...
If you have only 1 light over the tank, I'd go with a 50/50 bulb.
It gives 6000k for white and 50k for blue(Actinic).

I have had them over my tank and it worked pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom