Lighting questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

Ok I have some lighting questions.. I have 6x55watt pc lighting currently... I was planning on DIY a custom hood and wanted to add some MH Lights... I was thinking about 2 175watt 10k bulbs..

My current situation Is

6x55watt PC lights 4 10k Ultra Sunlight and 2 Ultra Actinic

Would Adding 2 175watt MH be overkill on the tank???

What brand of bulbs should I get as well If I were to go with MH...

My goal is to be able to have any Coral\Anemone in my tank and have the lighting needs be satisfied.. However I know that some Corals are Moderate to High light requirements.. Any suggestions Please advise..

TIA,
James

Would Adding 2 175watt MH be overkill on the tank???

no, but I would only use 4 of the PC bulbs, I don't think the extra two would benefit much and will only increase algae issues.

What brand of bulbs should I get as well If I were to go with MH...

I use Ushio bulbs and I'm happy with them, but when it is time to replace the bulb...I am gonna try the Aqualine Buschke or the Hamilton 10K.

My goal is to be able to have any Coral\Anemone in my tank and have the lighting needs be satisfied.. However I know that some Corals are Moderate to High light requirements.. Any suggestions Please advise..

I can't remember, but it seems your tank has some hair algae issues, am I correct? If so, I would not add MH lighting, until the root of the problem is found and it is under control. Even if the hair algae is on the decline...adding that much more light could give it the boost it needs to completely take over.

I can't remember, but it seems your tank has some hair algae issues, am I correct?
You are correct.. And it is under control I have found the issue.. My PO4 was .03 and I tracked it in off of a piece of LR from my other tank.. I have since taken care of the issue and letting the snails clean up the rest of the algae...

I however regret not going with MH in the begining... I will take your advice and wait until all the Algae is completely gone.. I have been doing weekly water changes with RO/DI as my tap is very rich is PO4 and CA along with other stuff...

My po4 levels are down to 0 so it has taken a major decline... I will keep watching Ebay for some MH retros and wait until the price is right.. I have seen them 150.00 for 2x 175watt retros without bulbs..

Anyways thanks again,
James

Back
Top Bottom