Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-25-2006, 02:03 AM   #1
Lighting time?

Now that I have corals in my tank I have a concern. I was running the lights this weekend 12 hrs from the morning until dinner time.

Now that it is Monday I realize I am not home until late all week. Looking at my schedule I want to run the corals from 12pm to 12am. Is it ok to start the light late and end late. I figured as long as they get a certain amount of light per day it would be fine but I wanted to check.

Old 09-25-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
That sounds like it should be fine. I only run my lights for 8 hours. They come on at 2PM and go off at 10PM, so I can enjoy a few hours of tank viewing time. I use timers as well.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Concur, just set up some timers. 8-12 hrs is plenty and it really does not mater what time as long as you develop a consistent patern. Mine are on from 1PM until 11PM daily because I do not get home until dinner time.

If running a longer light cycle just watch out for unwanted algea.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
As long as you stick with an established photoperiod, that should be fine. My zoanthid tank does not come on til 8pm then goes off at 8am.
Fish do not read books, nor care what we think.
afishyonados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:07 PM   #5
Sounds good. It would be an absolute shame if I could never enjoy my fish and corals after all the money I have spent.

Thanks a lot

light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com