Lighting times

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjbaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All, I've just upgraded my lighting to 2 x 150w halide, 2 x 39w T5's and 2 x clusters of 20 LEDs (blue)

I have the LEDs come on first 8am - 9am then they turn of and the T5's come on from 9 -10, then they turn off and both halide's come on from 10 - 6pm, T5's from 6 - 7pm and LEDs 7 - 9pm then lights out.

I have a finger coral and a tree sponge so far and hoping to buy a few more corals in the near future. Does my lighting times seem OK ? Is there any room for improvement ?

Thanks

Are the LED`s blue lights? If so you can have them on at night time. I really dont see any problem with your schedule. I`ve just never seen someone with all those types of lighting at the same time. Usually someone will have one or two of those. Nevermind about the LED`s as I see my answer.

Cut back on feeding a bit and up the water changes. Is this a new fixture, or did you purchase it from another reef keeper? How old and what are the spectrum of the halides?

It doesn't tell you what color temperature or "kelvin" the lamps are. Some of the lower K lamps promote algae better than the higher. The same is said for lower quality lamps. You should see the k rating written right on the bulb.
I would go with something 14k or higher. Also, higher quality lamps tend to put our more usable light than stock lamps do. Just a FYI.

Back
Top Bottom