Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2004, 12:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ptchfork
Lighting to tank

Hello again, thanks so much for all the help you gave on my previous topic "Help me grow into a reef". I'm getting the powerheads and the timers.

Now, about the lighting... Can someone clear some stuff up?
What's the difference between PC and VHO lights?
Is there a listing somewhere of what corals / inverts and what light requirements they have?
Will lights too powerful damage the fish in the tank already?

Thanks again everyone!

ptchfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:18 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
What's the difference between PC and VHO lights?
These are differnt types of florecent bulbs. VHO bulbs look like standard florecent bulbs except they are made special so they can be driven by a special VHO compatiable ballast. The net result is a much brighter output. For example a 4' NO florecent bulb is rated at 40W. Where as a 4' VHO bulb is rated at 110W.

PC bulbs appear like thin florecent tubes except they are bent at one end and only have a connector on 1 end of the bulb. These have equivlent if not higher output than VHO bulbs for the same lenght. For example a 3' PC bulb is rated at 96W. If we calculate that out to wattage per foot (im really shooting for the moon here) then you can see the 3' PC bulb has a wattage of 32W per foot where as the 110W bulb is at 27.5W per foot.

Both require specific ballasts designed to light the bulbs properly. Ice cap makes a very high quality ballast that will acutally lamp either or type of bulb.

Quote:
Is there a listing somewhere of what corals / inverts and what light requirements they have?
Yes and no. What kind of list are you looking for? If your looking for like a char that shows one side having a list of common aquarim corals and then next to them a minimum wattage or type of light rating I dont think that exists. But if your looking for a reference of coral and light suggestions then you can fidn that in the book Aquarium Corals. You can also find that referenced on an individual coral basis on the net.

If you have a list of corals your interested in we can suggest differnt types of lighting.

Quote:
Will lights too powerful damage the fish in the tank already?
No. Remember these fish's natural habatat is the natural reef in the tropics. Toward the tropics the suns rays are most direct so its very bright naturally. This is why we need the high output lights. The fish wont be bothered by the higher lights. Infact they will proably have a better aperance to them since the higher output lights and any actinic light you put on the tank will bring out the fish's natural colors.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

i just want to add that power compact and compact fluorescent are the same thing. i saw many people referring to pc and cf and it was confusing at first.
10g: 7 cardinal tetras, 7 black neon tetras, 5 pygmy cories
10g: 3 leopard geckos
a yellow lab, a bichon frise, and a grey tabby cat
Centurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks FishFreek...

Ok, I understand the difference now, you really helped me out with this.

I'm not looking for too many corals, not any "hard" corals, I was thinking along the lines of mushrooms and maybe a feather duster or so.

My wife and I see ourselves moving out side the city & buying a home within 5 or 10 years and at that time I'll get a bigger tanks and "graduate" into the complex stuff. I'll look around and post some things that interest me, maybe you guys could suggest if I'm going too ahead of myself.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2004, 02:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok, I've looked around and I was thinking of possibly starting out with the following corals - can someone suggest what lighting / care requirements or any other helpful suggestions you have. Like I said I don't have the equipment yet, so I won't actually be purchasing these specimens for awhile.

Thanks for all you help -

Green Mushrooms
Starburst Polyp Coral
Colt Coral

Old 01-09-2004, 02:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just a heads up on the lighting if you are thinking about or ever plan on using MH now is the time. You'll be kicking yourself later if you end up buying you lighting twice. if you look around you should be able to find between 350-500w of MH for under $300
Old 01-09-2004, 02:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
Quote:
Green Mushrooms
Starburst Polyp Coral
Colt Coral
All of these would do well under PC or VHO lighting. As Newguy said, if you think you will ever want to get hard sps corals, clams or anemones then now would be the time to invest in MH lighting. Its not cheap but buy MH first is cheaper than buying NO then PC then MH...trust me.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks guys. I understand about the MH costs and all, but I fully plan on growing to bigger tank when I get a house. I won't want to buy a MH set for this tank and then have to buy another one down the road.

Thanks so much for the advice. It's incredible how helpful and friendly everyone here is.

Tags
light, lighting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com