Lighting Troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertfah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently bought a 72" Orbit Power Compact Light for my fish tank. It has 3 light settings, 1 of which is lunar lights. If I plug the light (2 cords) directly into the wall, then the lunar lights will come on when I shut the switch off for the lights. But when I place the light on a timer, the lunar lights do not come on, mainly because I am cutting power to the light, not manually shutting it off.

Does anyone know how I can get my light on a timer but still utilize the lunar light at night time?

I’m confused, I assume that the dual power cords are to separate the pc lights from the moonlights. Do you have both cords plugged into the same timer and have both of them going off at the same time? If so putting them on different timers should solve that problem. I assume it’s not that easy though since you said the moon lights come on when you switch off the other lights. I thought these units had 3 switches for controlling Day/Actinic/Moon lighting.

Ok,

it's got 2 switches and 2 powercords. Both cords are plugged into the same timer.

If I plug both cords directly into the wall (no timer) then I can turn on the first switch which turns on the florecent lights. The 2nd switch turns on the Actinic (sp?) lights. If I turn both switches off, then the Lunar lights will stay on and no other lights are on.

also,
I see alot of photos with tank that just have the Actinic lights on. Should I alternate the lights so that they come on one at a time or always turn thm both on?

Sounds like one cord is for the pc lights and the other is for the moon lights. Have you tried just plugging the pc cord into the timer and leave the moon light plugged directly into the wall? It also sounds like the moon lights are on all the time (since you didn’t mention a switch for them) which shouldn’t affect your display and since they are led lights you shouldn’t have to ever replace them.

If you plug just one or the other cords with both switches on do the moon lights come on? If so then you can just put the other cord on the timer to turn your pc lighting on and off. I cycle mine from 9am to 9pm. If the moon lights are hardwired to only come on when the other two are off then it doesn’t sound like you will be able to use a timer and will just have to do it manually :(

The day/Actinic/moon lights are there to help simulate a full 24 hour lighting cycle. For example the actinic lights are used to simulate a morning/dusk type of light while the day would be on for around 6 hours to simulate daylight hours ie: from around 11am to 4pm. Lastly the moon lights are obviously designed to simulate moon light. (not trying to be smart, just fully explaining the purpose to those that might not understand)

Having said all that it really just depends on how you want to do it. If you are keeping corals than having just the actinic on during the day may not give them enough light but would be fine for a fo setup while having just the day or both of them on shouldn’t hurt inverts or fish.

Awesome,
Thanks for the help. I've got a FO tank right now, but I plan to turn it into a reef tank, but slowly.

Thanks again!

AWESOME.....

Works like a charm! Actually, there are 3 plugs......2 for each light and a 3rd for the fan and lunar lights......

Thanks again!

Glad it worked :D Since you have 3 plugs you should be able to customize a nice morning/day/dusk/night cycle on individual timers. I just wouldn’t run the pc lights for more than a total of 12 hours or else you might get some algae issues.

There should be 4 plugs. 2 for lights, one for moons and one for fans. At least that is how my satellite works and they are essentially the same. Either way glad it works for ya :)

Back
Top Bottom