Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2006, 12:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes it shouldn't be a problem, and you could prolly earn some money by selling that old eclipse system hood up on eBay

Old 04-04-2006, 01:13 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Jermz79, I also don’t see too much trouble just switching out the lr from one tank to the other to maintain your bacteria. I would keep in old aerated SW if the transition isn’t instant. Also a quick dip in old SW before adding to the new tank is good. Try to match the ph/sg/temp of the 29 as closely to your nano before switching. If you have any filter media from the eclipse system you can add to the new HOB that would also help transfer the bacteria. Which HOB were you thinking about?

Even with the cured/old lr your tank will still probably go through “new tank syndrome” with a bit of algae break out until it stabilizes a bit.

Also since a sump is not possible right now if you have room you may want to consider a HOB refugium which you could add lr rubble and Chaetomorpha Algae for nutrient exportation and a place to cultivate pods. usa-aquarium has them for as little as $25 plus shipping.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:15 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think my post is coming across clear.

What I'm doing is eliminating the Eclipse Hood and placing a HOB filter on the tank. In the Eclipse filter system I have only LR rubble, I would need to take that and put it in the new HOB and hope that it maintains the bacteria so I don't get the "new tank syndrome".

I'm not switching tanks or anything .... just upgrading the lights which is going to call for taking the Eclipse hood off and when I do this it will also eliminate the filter integrated into this system!

I hope that is more clear than before. I posted last night and I was a little tired!!!

Oh and thanks for the link to the HOB refugium!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:20 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Sorry, my little girl has been waking up at 2am for the last week and I’m not as clear headed either Your post was clear, I’m the delusional one

Your lr rubble has almost 100% of the bacteria assuming you don’t use filter floss and changing out units shouldn’t be an issue whatsoever. If you do use filter floss it has some of the bacteria as well but doesn’t necessarily have to be added to the new HOB.

“New Tank Syndrome” is usually inevitable IME even with transferring bio-media It will probably be minimal and I wouldn’t worry about it but don’t be shocked if you see it.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's too funny Tec. my little one has been up laately too, cutting teeth ya know. So I know how ya feel.

Thanks for the info. Now off to order my lights!

Any suggestions on HOB filters? Good/Bad ... just in case, my tank is 29 gallon 65lbs. of LR and currently FOWLR!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Old 04-04-2006, 03:44 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

I’ve only dealt with the Magnum 250 and 350 personally for the last 10 years. Both are extremely reliable IMO and are fairly easy to maintain. If you do get that one you can just not use the media container that comes with it, put the middle tube in, load it up with lr rubble, and put the top on.

I’ve heard from others that the Marineland Emperor & Hagen AquaClear Power Filter are pretty good as well.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Old 04-04-2006, 07:51 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

IME stay away from the Emperor filters. Since you have a good amount of LR the Bio-wheel will just cause nitrate problems. If you remove the Bio-wheel, the spray bar that powers it creates an enormous amount of bubbles. Good luck w/ the project.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

what HOB filter would you recommend MT79?

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Old 04-04-2006, 09:58 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I only have experience w/ the Emperor, so I don't have much to offer- sorry.

Tags
filter, filter advice, light, lighting, lighting upgrade, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com