Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Lighting Upgrade Suggestions

Lighting upgrade help
Hi everyone. I’m looking for some suggestions or guidance for upgrading my lighting. I currently have some lps and zoas but would like to eventually add some sps to the tank as well as an anemone. I currently run a wavepoint 36in 4x39w T5 with the stock 2 white, 2 actinic bulbs. This is run on a 50g 36in wide, 18in deep tank.

My question is should I keep what I have running and add an additional light or should I replace my current setup with something different?
I am not looking to spend a fortune and am not looking for my electric bill to skyrocket. Also, I am not able to hang anything from the ceiling so any lights will have to be hung on some sort of pendant or be attached to the rim of the tank.

For additional lights I was looking at adding an additional T5 fixture 2x39w running only actinic bulbs (run as dawn/dusk) or possibly a 36in reefbright blue led.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

sroot17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
I would add a two bulb HO T5 fixture. This would be the most economical and still provide adequate light for whatever you want to do.

Fishguy2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Do your T-5 HO fixture have individual reflectors on them. also how much room do you have for the second set of lamps.
18" is almost at the max depth for T-5's. If the lamps go to much to the edge of the tank all you will be doing is growing algae on your glass.
Happy Reefing,
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
That's a pretty good fixture you have. If you have room, you can add a 2 or 4 bulb fixture. I know a few people who have ordered these fixtures and are very happy with them and the prices.
2 bulb fixture 5" wide
T5-ho 3ft / 2LAMP Aquarium lighting
4 bulb fixture 9" wide
3Ft/4Bulbs fixture
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote

light, lighting, lighting upgrade, suggestions, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com