Lighting Upgrade Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sroot17

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Lighting upgrade help
Hi everyone. I’m looking for some suggestions or guidance for upgrading my lighting. I currently have some lps and zoas but would like to eventually add some sps to the tank as well as an anemone. I currently run a wavepoint 36in 4x39w T5 with the stock 2 white, 2 actinic bulbs. This is run on a 50g 36in wide, 18in deep tank.

My question is should I keep what I have running and add an additional light or should I replace my current setup with something different?
I am not looking to spend a fortune and am not looking for my electric bill to skyrocket. Also, I am not able to hang anything from the ceiling so any lights will have to be hung on some sort of pendant or be attached to the rim of the tank.

For additional lights I was looking at adding an additional T5 fixture 2x39w running only actinic bulbs (run as dawn/dusk) or possibly a 36in reefbright blue led.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

I would add a two bulb HO T5 fixture. This would be the most economical and still provide adequate light for whatever you want to do.

Do your T-5 HO fixture have individual reflectors on them. also how much room do you have for the second set of lamps.
18" is almost at the max depth for T-5's. If the lamps go to much to the edge of the tank all you will be doing is growing algae on your glass.

Back
Top Bottom