Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-20-2005, 11:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Originally Posted by 4enzix
so what does this tell you in easy terms? if you do put the odd specimen that may fight with each other chemically in your system, frequent H20 changes are a must
No, that is not what it tells you. The point is that you need to plan a system ahead of time, research each purchase, and avoid the most noted "rivalries" (some leathers and LPS, Xenia and some SPS, etc.). Even frequent water changes are not capable of making a chemical soup a good environment, not long term anyways.....especially in a small system (quick buildup).

In other words, just be responsible. You have started on a route with soft corals and LPS....I would continue this route over making a complete mixed garden reef. Shrooms are also known to be very potent chemically and the frogspawn will continue to grow (as will all the corals) so this needs to be accounted for in a small tank as well. The mentioned addition of another Euphyllia is a good idea, various LPS species could be grouped together. Or remove most of the frags and go the SPS route. There are plenty of options if you do some homework.

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 11:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
ive arleady stated that above... but im saying even with corals that arent at high risk of incompatibility if you put something like xenia in you should still maintain frequent water changes

200 gal reef with mainly euphyllia corals and peaceful fish
w/ 70 gal seahorse fuge.
4enzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 02:18 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
personaly.. its perplexing why you invested in so much light intensity and have desided to get shrooms and the xenia both not needing near as much light as you have.. you could get a much cheaper setup to raise these IMO.
I have read alot of horror stories about xenia and planned to avoid it up front personaly.. Im sure its a fine coarl and from the others you have it seems to not be a big incompatibility issure other then it growing too close to your frogspawn..

I think it depends on wich coarls you like most.. If you like LPS coarls like the frogspawn and hammer I would go from there..

you do have the SPS option.. but as stated before it would be wise to return/sell/rehouse all but maybe the frogspawn. moving the frogspawn near the bottom in a corner maybe.. it needs to be at least 6" away from other coarls..

I was afraid to post the first time.. considering Im still just in the reasearch stage.. but you said you have a frogspawn and I happen to have desided to design my system around that particular coarls needs. I like it alot.. :P

greenmaji is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, corals, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com